Run 'N' Gun Techniques at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 28th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Run 'N' Gun Techniques

I'm considering very hard getting an HD-110, and have some basic technique questions. Any response is greatly appreciated!

I am a motorsports videographer/photographer, and currently work primarliy with the Canon XL-series cameras.

As my subjects are moving anywhere from 200-300mph, and covering distances from the camera of dozens of yards to 1/2 mile, I was wondering how one was supposed to manipulate both the focus and zoom controls simultaneously in order to get proper imaging.
Do you folks that do this sort of work with ENG non-auto cameras simply close down the iris and depend on DOF for focus (thereby only having to worry about zooming), or is there some other technique that I'm missing?

Thanks!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris, I know this may not be the most appropriate forum for this thread, but couldn't find similar questions, and since the HD-110 is what I'm considering I thought this was as good a place as any.

-Ken
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Major Player

To worry less about focusing on the fly, make sure to put the lens in it's sweet-spot.
Which is around F4-F5.6. I'm sure Tim Dashwood and others can tell you much more about this.
In outdoor conditions to achive this setting, you need extra ND-filters in front of your lens.
I use most of the time 0.6ND with a Mattebox (and the internal ND at position 2)
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

For hand held work, ENG style cameras like the HD 110 are designed so that you can operate both the zoom and the focus at the same time.

When the camera being used on a tripod you can use a zoom control on the pan handle with one hand and adjust the focus with the other.

Being a 1/3" camera, you've got more DOF with the HD110 than the 2/3" ENG cameras. However, you do need to practise and having manual control allows you top decide where you want the focus, not the camera.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Since the camera comes with a standard mechanical pro style lens, what you want to do is something that ENG sports photographers have been doing for years. One hand on the focus ring and the other on the lens zoom rocker. You just need some practice and you are good to go. Possibly better then the Canon lenses in terms of response.

There is one thing I would question, the appropriateness of the HD-110 for sports photography. Since the camera is made to record in 30p HDV with no provision for 60p in full 1280x720 HDV, it might be better for you to look into the HD-200 which can. The HD-110 can put out a 60p live output thru the analog connectors but that's only useful in certain specific configurations (live switch, external HD recorder).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems