Does anyone know of HD100 Filmout at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does anyone know of HD100 Filmout

Would like to find a HD100 that has transfered to Film?

Im about to film a movie,then Ive talked to a sony f900 owner that told me it would look terrible on film because of the bitrate was on 20 vrs 100???

Now Im getting scared!
HELP!
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Oh no, here we go again.... bit rate wars..

I have not seen the HD100 filmout yet, but there have been plenty of others that have seen it on the big screen and have said it looked good.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've seen the HDV output of the HD100 transfered to film and it looks very, very good. Like Super 16mm but not 35mm. Unfortunately, you may not live near a facility that does this sort of work since talking to the technicians is the best way to learn the process they need you to follow for the best results.

Don't know of any easily seen work that have been done with the camera, perhaps other forum members know of something that's rentable from NetFlix.
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thx!

I just need to see it now!

Horror Film:30 cast,15 crew,9 locations/Nov 3-25 permits approved!

Any please say it ill be O.K.
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Uh....OK?

Who are you delivering the final product to? Sci-Fi Channel or direct to video? I've seen a number of recent direct-to-DVD horror films and you shouldn't be worried at all. Your lighting and camera composition means a lot more then the format you are shooting on (a decent script and cast help too).

Considering that some of the most influential horror films of the past 10 years have been shot on DV, you are already ahead of the game with the HD-100. However the camera doesn't mean much if your control over it isn't good. Most successful DV films have been shot very carefully with a lot of attention paid to lighting and exposure control.

Sure the Sony F900 is a better camera and might make shooting easier in some ways but can the production afford the costs of editing that format? If you know how to make regular DV look good, you'll have no problem with the HD100 and if you search this forum, you'll find a lots of excellent hints regarding a good editing process.

Good luck and make sure the film has lots of flying were-moles. That'll make a great film.
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Major Player

28 days later - horror film, shot on DV (not HDV). Worldwide cinema release, made lots of money. People will get over the look of the film after a few minutes if the story/acting/cinematography/soundtrack is interesting enough
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Houser View Post

Im about to film a movie,then Ive talked to a sony f900 owner that told me it would look terrible on film because of the bitrate was on 20 vrs 100???

Now Im getting scared!
HELP!
Filmout is no problem at all with the footage. Don't worry about it. Instead, worry about delivering a compelling story, solid performances, excellent shot setup/selection and outstanding audio/vo/score.

Your film transfer will be in the hands of the colorist and lab.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Houser View Post
Hi Steven,
I have done several HD100 filmout tests at DuArt and demonstrate them publicly almost every week. It's a shame your not on the east coast - you could see for yourself. Do not expect it to look like an F900. You will be disappointed. Glass, sensor size, and bitrate all make a difference. However, what you will get is quite possibly the best looking image of any camera in its price class. The look is not unlike 16mm through an Angenieux zoom. Do your job well and it will work for you.

Be sure to turn detail down. I recommend MIN setting. And you can't be too careful about exposure and focus. If you need any post help I'm happy to assist.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems