Do you miss your DVX100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do you miss your DVX100?

I post this question as I am about to purchase a used GY-HD100U. I wonder if the 24P look is the same...or if you can mimic the rich colors of the DVX100. I just remember taking a look at the GY-HD100U when it was about to hit the market after NAB (2005 maybe?) and I was not too impressed. But after reading this forum, I hear nothing but good things about it.

Anyone care to comment?
Coco Bermudez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Coco, one of the great things about the HD100 is that offers a wide range of control.

Look for Paolo's Truecolor 3 setting file. Really brings the camera to life!
There's a link above from Noe's Panamatch to Tim Dashwoods settings. The great thing is you can load these on an SD card and call them up at any time.

BTW, once you see the HD100 playback on a 50" HD Plasma set, you won't be missing your DVX for long. LOL
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Major Player

hmmm. ive shot a small feature with the dvx, and while it is a solid and wonderful camera, i dont think you can compare the two. once you start using true color 3, its a whole different ball game. especially in terms of raw resolution and latitude. it really allows you to be quite flexible in post, and if you bypass HDV altogether and use something like DVCPRO HD during the grading process i think you will be amazed at how much you can push things around.

the HD100 is definitely one of the best around- and i think ive always felt that way ever since i first put it on my shoulder and realized it was the way I was meant to shoot video. But everyone has different ways of shooting that are best for them.

my two cents.

enjoy your purchase! or better yet, buy mine! ;)

Alan
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #4
New Boot

I can for one say I miss my DVX a lot, it was so small and light weight and there is something special about that camera. I can still recognize that footage on TV, those cameras are still out there, especially in the eastern countries but.. I've found my true love, the HD110 with Paulios settings, it's truly mind blowing camera for 5000$!
Joni Partanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Major Player

I have an HD101. But I still miss my old super-8 cine film camera. I liked the discipline that only having 3.5 minutes of film stock forced you into. And the excitement of getting the envelope through the post two weeks later when it came back from the developers!
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Is it good for weddings or should I go for the Canon XH-A1

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat. I have two DVXs & an XL2 and now looking seriously at moving into HD.
I originally considered the new Sony EX1 but the expense of the media and having no economical way of archiving raw footage has put me off that one.

When I first saw the HD 100 last year I was imediately drawn to it because it had a real lens with real mechanical controls on it. (I absolutely hate the servos on the other sub $10,000 cams) I wanted total control of the lens which I was not getting from my XL2 or the Canon XH A1 (which I'm also considering but have not had hands on with yet).

I'm still stressed out & confused as I've read lots of good stuff about the HD 100 but all seem to be from the indy film maker perspective (Adam Wilt, Chris Hurd, Barry Green etc...) and I'm a full time wedding & event shooter.

Are any of you guys using the HD100 for weddings and if so how are you finding it compared to the DVX (Z1, A1 etc...)?

Cheers,

James
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #7
Trustee

James,
Our facility also had 2 DVXs for weddings. We aquired the HD100 for corporate work. I dont recommend the HD100 for wedings or event videography, I suggest you go for the Z1 or A1 for that. I shot weddings for 10 years before going to corporate work for the last 12 years.
My experience say you need the option for auto focus and image stabilization in event videography where there are shots that you cant have a second take.
The small format cameras you mentioned also has a better auto whitebalance mode.
The HD100 is ideal for corporate work where you have almost have full control of the situation.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #8
Major Player

I have to second that. As far as weddings, while the ergonomics are great, when you start having to bump up the gain 6db is really the threshold unlike cameras like the Z1 which have very clean gain at 12db or even usable at 18db. The HD100 can be a little too much in some situations as well, although some people are using them for weddings. Its a champ in the corporate world however, and clients really seem to respond well to the "pro" look and feel of a decked out HD100.
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #9
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Thirston View Post
I originally considered the new Sony EX1 but the expense of the media and having no economical way of archiving raw footage has put me off that one.
I believe Sony has a relatively inexpensive blue-laser recorder/player that you can connect to the EX by FW. So media cost is the same as if you were shooting on XDCAM HD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems