Headphones for HD100, no audio guy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Headphones for HD100, no audio guy

Hello, I am in the market for new pair of headphones. As I usually work alone, without audio guy (mainly event videography), I am looking for nice closed headphones for accurate level checking and monitoring.

I have picked Beyer DT100 (http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...oduct_id/3487). The question is - is it feasible to use such big phones while shooting? I will unmount the stock audio pad. Is there enough room for operator's head?

Thanks!
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I use the closed headphones only for 2-3 minutes every hour. the rest of the time i have connected Clip Type Headphones so i can tell if the sound is arriving well enough
again for accurate level monitoring i use the closed headphones but only from time to time.
I find the stock audio pad useless and annoying its really uncomftable.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Check out the Etymotics. The ER-6 are great for the field.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm using the Sennheiser HD-25. The capsule is rotatable for one-ear listening. Ideal monitoring headphones for cameramen.
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm a big fan of Sennheisers, I have the PX-200's closed back and extremely lightweight and small. They also fold away into a neat little case.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/05207

I can wear them all day and they sound fantastic in pretty much every audio task and environment I have thrown them at.
Gregg Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Darling View Post
Check out the Etymotics. The ER-6 are great for the field.
These ARE quite good. I use them not only for the monitoring but for their approx 32db attenuation of loud sound for ear protection when shooting in loud speaker or band environments. The wires on this model are not very thick and appear fragile but I've had mine and used them a lot for about a year and a half now. Just be aware of that and careful. They do have a more beefy, braided wire model too for more money. No headphone real estate to worry about as well. Very decent audio-wise.
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you all very much for responses.
¨
As the Etymotics aren't available here in Czech Republic, I will probably go for Senn HD280 Pro. Folks here seem to be pretty happy with them. Would go for Sony 7506, but I cannot find them anywhere.

Thanks again.
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala View Post
As the Etymotics aren't available here in Czech Republic, I will probably go for Senn HD280 Pro. Folks here seem to be pretty happy with them. Would go for Sony 7506, but I cannot find them anywhere.
I see that the HD280 headphones fold up like the Sony 7506 do. I have the Sony and I find the foldable feature extremely convenient. I also appreciate the coiled cord on the sony headphones.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #9
Major Player

Senn 280 has coiled cord as well and it folds really nice. Sound is amazing, I just find that the volume could be a little higher, but sadly there isn`t a model with lower impedance.
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:15 AM   #10
Major Player

We've used Sennheiser HD 25-1 foldaway and HD 280pro depending on the occasion. 280 is bulkier but sound is magnificent.

But I mostly use separate sound recording devices and then it's the sound engineer's preference.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:05 AM   #11
Major Player

I use a set of sony Pro/ head phones
they work great
Just my opinion
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems