New Scene with Mini 35 and HD-250 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM   #1
Major Player

New Scene with Mini 35 and HD-250

Just another small scene form the Feature I am finishing. Its not done yet, but we are getting close. Any thoughts would be nice, positive or negative.

Its scene "65 A" From Last Score:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SuperbadDuke
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Looks mint Brian.
Love the colour of the scene...which scene did you use...post colour?
You've achieved (again :) ), to my eyes at least, a very cinematic look from this camera (and of course the mini 35). Aside from the camera work the editing is well executed.
Is the handheld 'natural' or via a fluid tripod?

btw - are you still using 'hairs' on the viewfinder and cropping the footage later or does the mini 35 cancel this requirement out?

Thanks for posting.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Love the colour of the scene...which scene did you use...post colour?
We used Dashwood's Bleech bypass IN Camera. I then have been through a lengthy post color correction, whichb I am really happy with. It gives is a much desired "film-look."

Quote:
Is the handheld 'natural' or via a fluid tripod?
Just tripod and fluid head. No hand held.

Quote:
btw - are you still using 'hairs' on the viewfinder and cropping the footage later or does the mini 35 cancel this requirement out?
I am not sure what you mean. If you mean if we use 2.35:1 markers, yes we use those, plus a monitor that also marks the aspect ratio we will end up with, in this case, 2:35.1.

Thanks for posting.[/QUOTE]
Old October 26th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke View Post
We used Dashwood's Bleech bypass IN Camera. I then have been through a lengthy post color correction, whichb I am really happy with. It gives is a much desired "film-look."

Just tripod and fluid head. No hand held.

I am not sure what you mean. If you mean if we use 2.35:1 markers, yes we use those, plus a monitor that also marks the aspect ratio we will end up with, in this case, 2:35.1.

Thanks for posting.
[/QUOTE]

Cheers Brian - yes, I recall in one of your older posts that you taped a couple of hairs across the camera viewfinder/LCD to frame within the 2:35:1 ratio.
Good stuff Brian.
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Cheers Brian - yes, I recall in one of your older posts that you taped a couple of hairs across the camera viewfinder/LCD to frame within the 2:35:1 ratio.
Good stuff Brian.[/QUOTE]

We did do that, but the HD200/250, which we used 1/2 the time have frame markers. I do use a self-made piece on my Mrshall monitor to get the 2:35.1 aspect ratio marker.
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Good stuff Brian.
We did do that, but the HD200/250, which we used 1/2 the time have frame markers. I do use a self-made piece on my Mrshall monitor to get the 2:35.1 aspect ratio marker.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I bet you're pleased with the footage?

I'd like to attempt to film a little 2:35:1 ratio (using the HD100)...might have to pick your brain for DIY tips (unless there is a thread started?)
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
We did do that, but the HD200/250, which we used 1/2 the time have frame markers. I do use a self-made piece on my Mrshall monitor to get the 2:35.1 aspect ratio marker.

I'd like to attempt to film a little 2:35:1 ratio (using the HD100)...might have to pick your brain for DIY tips (unless there is a thread started?)[/QUOTE]

You can pick my brains. Its really simple. Get the measurements for the aspect ratio if your monitor doesn't have frame makers and then just create some board and stick on it there with velcro or similar material.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:

I'd like to attempt to film a little 2:35:1 ratio (using the HD100)...might have to pick your brain for DIY tips (unless there is a thread started?)
You can pick my brains. Its really simple. Get the measurements for the aspect ratio if your monitor doesn't have frame makers and then just create some board and stick on it there with velcro or similar material.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I don't have any type of field monitor bar the LCD screen Brian.
Looks like I'll be using the 'hair over the LCD' method (fortunately I have lots of spare hair :) ).
So if I were to measure the LCD screen...I'm guessing at 5mm in from the 16:9 safe lines in (struggling to find how I would translate 2:35:1 into measurements!?!).
To be honest this will only be for a small amount of footage, a wide angle lens alternative would be much more preferable.

Just found this link on aspect ratios...suprised to find so many:

http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml

Cheers Brian.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
You can pick my brains. Its really simple. Get the measurements for the aspect ratio if your monitor doesn't have frame makers and then just create some board and stick on it there with velcro or similar material.
Unfortunately I don't have any type of field monitor bar the LCD screen Brian.
Looks like I'll be using the 'hair over the LCD' method (fortunately I have lots of spare hair :) ).
So if I were to measure the LCD screen...I'm guessing at 5mm in from the 16:9 safe lines in (struggling to find how I would translate 2:35:1 into measurements!?!).

Cheers Brian.[/QUOTE]

If you already have the HD200/250 you can find the frame makers int eh menu. if you work with the HD100, just use the 16/9 frame and make the top and bottom a little smaller.

What are you ultimate goal with your footage as far as aspect ratio? A lot c an be done in post. Still not sure exactly what you are planning on doing.
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:

If you already have the HD200/250 you can find the frame makers int eh menu. if you work with the HD100, just use the 16/9 frame and make the top and bottom a little smaller.

What are you ultimate goal with your footage as far as aspect ratio? A lot c an be done in post. Still not sure exactly what you are planning on doing.

I have the HD100 Brian - I'll have to use the 16:9 markers and so will add the hairs to mark a slight decrease (top and bottom smaller) to roughly fit in the 'action' then (and this will be trial and error for me) crop an approximate 2:35:1 ratio in FCP (is there a more accurate way of cropping 16:9 footage to 2:35:1?).
This will end up on a kung fu promo sequences (and hopefully to sell onto MA schools etc) - I will use it sparingly as I'd much rather use a wide angle lens (or wide angle alternative) than an effected look.
Overall I'm endeavouring to create a homage to the 70's KF films (shaw brothers et al) crossed with the more recent 'new wave martial arts' flicks such as house of the flying daggers...).
Looking forward to the editing on this one (I'll hopefully be roped in to do the music also...another enjoyable learning curve :) )
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems