Post color correct the HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Post color correct the HD100

I'm about to start some tests on different methods of color correcting footage in post. I have selected various scene files from the collection, mainly Tim Dashwood's wide latitude. This is purely a personal test to see what works best within my current Final Cut workflow. Hopefully, this will help out someone besides myself.

This is what I'll be testing:
Final Cut Pro (internally)
Apple Color
After Effects
Shake
Magic Bullet Looks

With a deep background in AE, I know I can do a lot with the footage, but the round trip I can say already will be a pain. Magic Bullet Looks and Color are what I am excited in testing. I will host video samples soon and see if I can achieve some basic and creative looks with all.

Note: I've made other adjustments to accommodate Magic Bullet. I'll let you guys know what I end up with.
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #2
Trustee

James, short of using Automatic Duck for round-tripping, I use SheerVideo to export/import clips between FCP and AE, which I do pretty often. Escpecially in order to preserve color information. Sheer has a 30-day evaluation period for the codec, and, for once, the evaluation doesn't have any artificial limitations or watermark. Highly recomended: http://www.bitjazz.com

I'll be looking forward to the results of your test.
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Wow, thanks Paolo. I wonder if this could be a great solution for live capture in with BlackMagic to get full 4:2:2 in instead of using ProRes. After this initial test, I just might have to do more with SheerVideo compared to HDV, AIC, or other options.
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've seen color finesse do some amazing things...

http://www.synthetic-ap.com/products/cf/index.html

cross platform too.

tup
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Tup, I can't say that I have used Color Finesse that much—if at all. I have 1.5.6 with my AE 7, and I guess is a great way to see scopes in good detail for a shot, but I still like curves and the histagram with options for masking. I can't see that you can do any masking within the filter. I guess you can always apply it to a copy of the layout and mask out that layer. Hmm. This looks like an expensive option for cc compared to others, specifically for HD at around $2k. I might play around with this after the others.

Do you use it much?

Last edited by David Chapman; October 30th, 2007 at 04:42 PM.
David Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I used it for the first time this spring while working at a 3d video company. The senior editor there showed me how and it blew me away. Video that was really bad was able to be brought back. It has curves, histograms, masking capabilities all from within the AE timeline.

What I liked is you could take a still that you had either shot with a digital camera and did color correction to it in photoshop or whatever and then overlay it on the current video frame and use it as a guide to match. I think the version I used cost $575. I'm not sure, but what I think I remember is that you must buy for AE or premiere or fcp separately. The one plugin doesn't work for all three, which kinda sucks because sometimes I would like to use it right in a premiere timeline rather than have to create an aep for it. This may not be true anymore, but I faintly remember running into this issue on that project.
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Okay, okay. I thought this was going to be a lot quicker, but I have a good selection of footage that I will post in the morning. I shot with 4 options: Wide Lat, Low Light, Tru Color 3, and, for effect, Amelie.

I dumped the footage of buildings and sky and made my way into a beauty school and got a few of the students to model. I'm sure you will like this option better than the first. I should have some stills first thing on my website. I'll post the links in the morning.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Major Player

I am posting some of the stills from the shoot. None of the images have been color corrected.

Wide Lat

Low Light

TruColor v3

Amelie

I will be posting the full 1280x720 images untouched and color corrected as I work through the process so you can play with the originals as well. The shoot was an on the spot set up without a light kit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems