BRHD50 Deck stops recording.....JVC FIX THIS. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Major Player

BRHD50 Deck stops recording.....JVC FIX THIS.

JVC,

Are you listening? Do I have your attention?

Good.

Please, for the love of all that is sacred. On the next
firmware update DISABLE whatever it is in the deck
that causes it to stop recording when dubbing a tape.

One of your engineer's told me it does this when a
black signal from a tape is week. It causes me more
trouble than its worth when I need to dub tapes and
the damn deck just stops recording when the video
signal Looks fine.

This is not a Beta or Digibeta deck, its just DV for
recording. We don't need that feature. I would consider
it a flaw more than anything.

Please, Please disable that. I hate wasting time having
to check my deck every 5 minutes to make sure it keeps
recording a dv tape.

And while your at it, if you would allow the deck to play
LP mode dv tapes instead of stopping itself within 3 seconds
that would be handy. I fully understand you don't support
that, but the fact is the deck is ready and willing to play
the tapes just fine.

Thank you
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

AMEN!

I can't get this thing to record in DV of all things without stopping at completely random intervals.

This is the worst deck since the Hi8 era. Heck probably since before then.
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Major Player

While I'm at it fix the BR-HD50 from showing glitches in HDV recordings from your cameras.

A number of people are reporting perfectly good recordings when played back from a JVC HDXXX camera but on playback from the HD50U deck there could be glitches.

Please fix this as well. A number of us of invested in the equipment and the workflow and that is a HUGE let down.
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Tis the season to share

Did you know that your BR-HD50 WILL play an LP tape. (hehehe).

As for stopping during recording, that may be the recorder sensing copyguard or a macroguard in the signal and I agree, it is verrrry annoying.
If you go to the menu and take your unit out of ee mode then if it were to stop recording you would instantly know because the sound would cut out.
However, I LOVE EE mode so for my purposes that would be unnacceptable.

My problem is when I dub from a Betacam SP camera master tape I am seeing very thin horizontal luminence pulsing, sort of the kind one gets if they plug a television monitor into one power strip and a video deck or another television monitor into a different power strip.

I did several recording tests and basically when I switched cables between a Betacam sp deck, a Sony DV-CAM 40, and the JVC BR HD 50, only the JVC BR HD 50 showed the very thin horizontal luminence pulsing while in the record or ee mode. It doesn't show it all the time either. It's more noticeable in wide shots and shots with no depth to them, like a flat wall perpendicular to the camera. White and dark brown or dark red seem to show the effect the most, but only on the JVC deck, not the Betacam Sp nor the DV-CAM 40 deck.

On page E-29 of my JVC BR-HD50 manual it shows a picture of a "supplied ferrite core". I bought my deck from B & H ebay sale and my power cable does not have this ferrite core attached to it. Could that be causing the problem I am having? The ferrite core is supposed to decrease "unnecessary wave radiation" when properly attached to the power supply cable AND the IEEE 1394 cable as well.
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Machi View Post
Did you know that your BR-HD50 WILL play an LP tape. (hehehe).

As for stopping during recording, that may be the recorder sensing copyguard or a macroguard in the signal and I agree, it is verrrry annoying.
If you go to the menu and take your unit out of ee mode then if it were to stop recording you would instantly know because the sound would cut out.
However, I LOVE EE mode so for my purposes that would be unnacceptable.

How do you make it play an LP tape?
Mine will play one just fine for 4 seconds then stop itself.

The stopping during recording is caused by a weak black signal from
the playback device. It can be betasp, digibeta or dvcam. The solution
is to put a time base corrector in between the playback deck and
the BRHD-50 which is ludicrous, they need to just disable that since
no other DV decks need it and its more hassle than helpful.
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva View Post
How do you make it play an LP tape?
Mine will play one just fine for 4 seconds then stop itself.

The stopping during recording is caused by a weak black signal from
the playback device. It can be betasp, digibeta or dvcam. The solution
is to put a time base corrector in between the playback deck and
the BRHD-50 which is ludicrous, they need to just disable that since
no other DV decks need it and its more hassle than helpful.
Besides being caused by a weak black signal, it can also be caused by macro guarded tapes. So, who wants to know about how to get the JVC BR-HD-50 to play LP tapes back? (insert grinning devil icon here).
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Major Player

OK, you've got my morbid curiousity - although I hope I never have to do it! (deal with LP dv tape!). What I really want to know is how to play back a super 8mm film on it ;^)
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #8
Major Player

mine stops recording on the output of professional tv mobile units. the switchers are grass valley 4000 and kalypso. these are live remote broadcasts, we use no copy protection and the video signals are top notch. when it does stop i see a OSD saying something like "copy inhibt" and the deck stops. skid row...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey Greg, that happened to me as well, but in a less stressful situation.

I had a betacam sp live switch tape of an awards TV Show. I was dubbing the betacam sp tape to the JVC deck, everything was fine for several minutes, then suddenly the deck stopped on a specific shot. It was a superwide shot and I think whenever they went to that one shot the deck would stop. Luckily it was only a couple of times but it sure was annoying to have to deal with.
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #10
Major Player

Alessandro, how do you get a BR-HD50 to play LP DV tapes?

The suspense is killing us! :)
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #11
Major Player

I had a DV transfer to DVD job that involved over 30 DV tapes and 30 DVD's. I saved the DV LP tapes for last because I was getting the error message. I called Film and Video Transfers in Northridge, California to see if they had any ideas how I could get the LP tapes to play. My belief was that if the LP tape could play properly for a second or two before stopping play, there must be a way to get them to play without stopping.

I decided to get all of the SP tapes done first and then I would trouble shoot the LP issue further. I had just finished up with all of the SP DV tapes when I got a return call from Film and Video Transfers in Northridge, California about something I should try.

From just a egocentric point of view what bugs me is I probably was just about to try the very thing he suggested I try, but since I will never know for sure I got to give them at least co credit for the solution.

Since my blabbing this on the internet will probably lose Film and Video Transfers of Northridge California work from some desperate soul who didn't realize there was an LP dv workaround, I should do a small commercial for Film and Video transfers. (I don't work for them either).

Film and Video Transfers is a film and video transfer facility located in Northridge, California that has been in business for over 25 years. They have extensive experience in transfering any guage of film to video, via either a rank cintel machine or a very high quality film chain. They also do all kind of video duplication services including international conversions and deal with virtually all video formats, from digital betacam, betacam sp, dv, dv-cam, dvc-pro, one inch video and 3/4, digital 8, 8mm video and even vhs and S-vhs.

I'm tempted to cliffhanger the answer so people will tune in tomorrow...

To get your JVC BR-HD 50 to playback DV tapes....

I'm worried that some of you may have skipped to the end of the message and not read the commercial.

That's not very nice.

Use a controller with a 9 pin remote. Hook up the 9 pin remote, then set the jog shuttle slightly left or right of center default and the tape should play. You can thank Doug Horst of Film and Video Transfers and me (I was literally just about to try to use the controller to see if there was a way to get it play the LP tapes when he called me back from an earlier call I had made to him when he made the suggestion).
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Alessandro

Ha ha! Are you fallout from the screenwriter's strike Allessandro? Just can't stop the flow of creative writing!

Good thing to have in the back of the head. I'm guessing that a 9 pin controller is much pricier than a cheap dv camera though (which I have). Hopefully I have no LP tapes in my immediate future... I usually can't help chastising my clients when these things come up, which isn't good for business.

Last edited by Sean Adair; December 19th, 2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: making it more understandable ;)
Sean Adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #13
Major Player

Wow, what an interesting solution.

So I take it its just low enough to play, but not to fast forward.

I just happen to have one of those 9 pin handheld controllers too.

Brilliant! :)
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
Ha ha! Are you fallout from the screenwriter's strike Allessandro? Just can't stop the flow of creative writing!

Good thing to have in the back of the head. I'm guessing that a 9 pin controller is much pricier than a cheap dv camera though (which I have). Hopefully I have no LP tapes in my immediate future... I usually can't help chastising my clients when these things come up, which isn't good for business.
Actually, the price on controllers has been falling because they are considered analog. Panasonic made some small low cost controllers, I've seen them sell on ebay for well under a hundred bucks. New they probably cost between 250 to 400 dollars.
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva View Post
Wow, what an interesting solution.

So I take it its just low enough to play, but not to fast forward.

I just happen to have one of those 9 pin handheld controllers too.

Brilliant! :)
Especially when you have 8 hours of LP tapes to playback.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems