First tests for HD surfing videos (Link to m2t files) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Major Player

First tests for HD surfing videos (Link to m2t files)

One project that has landed on our laps was to shoot HD surfing videos...

I was worried about the artifact blocking that would be the MPEG compressed footage with all of the water spray and such going on, including lots of movement with following surfers.

This very, very rough test was done today just to see if the camera can handle these issues well or not.

This footage is NOT raw footage, it has been color corrected/stylized in Vegas 8 pro. The over crazy whip pans where done on purpose to see how the camera would handle these types of movements with water (this is not how we intend the product to look). Most of the shots were just thrown together with no real purpose other than getting as much spray captured to see how the compression would handle it.

This was shot in 720,24p the shutter speeds varied from 1/2000 to 1/100 (stopped down lens to F8-11)

We noticed right away that the stock lens would never be used for the real videos, they have horrible CA problems. Most likely our Nikon 300mm f2.8 will be used.

A way better test will be on the way, and i will post when its ready, hopefully it will be a mini video complete with interviews and some great wipe-outs timed with some in-your-face music.

Right click link and select save as:
http://newyorkfilmstudios.com/surfing.m2t

file size is 202mb.

you will need VLC or similar player to view the m2t footage.

any questions and comments???
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Giuseppe, you'll need one beefy tripod to handle that 300mm. I'm on a similar mission and had to retire my Sachtler Video15. A Video 20 will replace it. Rented one today to use the 300mm during the 2008 Mavericks competition. Beautiful machine which produced silky smooth pans.

At the distance you are shooting I'd say your 300mm will fill your frame with 3/4 of your subject's body. The rest won't fit. That lens is a telescope on your JVC.

Use your ND filters to help you maintain a slower shutter speed otherwise your 24p footage will look juttery at 1/2000th. Also try to keep your 16x's iris more open - f11 is not in it's sweet spot ( or even area ), which might be why you're so unhappy with it.

Shooting the surf is tough for me (most things are). Water is dark out here, surfers wear black - so you expose accordingly. But then the sun ignites the thrashing whitewash and blows the shot to hell. Unless you are going for that look, which you may well be, I have found zebras help a LOT. And I also underexpose then bring it up in post. Less CA that way too.

Good luck you're a man after my own heart.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
Giuseppe, you'll need one beefy tripod to handle that 300mm. I'm on a similar mission and had to retire my Sachtler Video15. A Video 20 will replace it. Rented one today to use the 300mm during the 2008 Mavericks competition. Beautiful machine which produced silky smooth pans.

At the distance you are shooting I'd say your 300mm will fill your frame with 3/4 of your subject's body. The rest won't fit. That lens is a telescope on your JVC.

Use your ND filters to help you maintain a slower shutter speed otherwise your 24p footage will look juttery at 1/2000th. Also try to keep your 16x's iris more open - f11 is not in it's sweet spot ( or even area ), which might be why you're so unhappy with it.

Shooting the surf is tough for me (most things are). Water is dark out here, surfers wear black - so you expose accordingly. But then the sun ignites the thrashing whitewash and blows the shot to hell. Unless you are going for that look, which you may well be, I have found zebras help a LOT. And I also underexpose then bring it up in post. Less CA that way too.

Good luck you're a man after my own heart.
Ah yes, the 300mm helps me back up, i was just about in the "wet sand" with my tripod and camera, I would rather be a bit far back anyway so the spray doesn't make it to the front element of my lens as much.

My main problems i noticed right away is, a lot of shots at the location i would be doing will be semi-back lit with sunlight during these winter shots. So i couldnt really get a nice well rounded shot considering everyones wearing black.

I too sympathize with you on the "But then the sun ignites the thrashing whitewash and blows the shot to hell." as you can see happens to me as well.

Things i noticed was the macro-blocking wasn't as apparent as i originally thought it would be, its "hidden" a bit by all thats going on. But none the less its there, and everywhere. I would love to capture via component out but thats unrealistic for me on the beach. After only a half hour out there, i found grains of sand all over my camera body. I cant risk the computer as well. plus no real way to lug all of that when i need to move for a shot, that would be the real issue.

as for tripod, would you happen to know what would equal that 20 you rented, in vinten/miller price world?
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese View Post

as for tripod, would you happen to know what would equal that 20 you rented, in vinten/miller price world?
For what it's worth that 20 I rented is exactly the same as the 20 I purchased only two days prior, only mine won't get here for a few days yet. Bought it used for less than half what it goes for new. I loved the rental. Completely. Thankfully..

I asked around and it was suggested that a real affordable way to go would be an older model Oconnor 50. "Get it serviced and go." It looked heavy for what I have planned (long hikes with the thing on my shoulder). Whatever you do, get something with a mid level spreader. Better for straddling rocks and uneven ground. Guy next to me had his rig on Oconnor legs with the mid level spreader. Worked real nice for him. I struggled with a low level spreader on the rental.

There are some 25s on ebay. 150mm Too big for me though. The 20 is rated to hold up to 55lbs (or somewhere near there). Maybe use that as a gage. And make sure you've got some adjustment in drag settings. It'll help you handle the different lenses you put on your JVC.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems