Post production for JVC Pro HD camcorders? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 13th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Post production for JVC Pro HD camcorders?

My workstation died. It was old, having problems, and finally took its last breath, laid down, and died. So, obviously now I am in the position of replacing my workstation. Originally I was going to install the same software, Edius 4. I haven't been exactly happy with Edius though.... it doesn't provide many built in compositing tools, and your limited with how you can combine effects. More importantly, on longer projects that do include lots of effects it seems to have stability issues. Unfortunately I don't have the money to invest in all new software as well as a new workstation.

Then I discovered linux. More specifically Ubuntu Studio (http://ubuntustudio.org/) It supposedly comes complete with everything you need for multimedia production, including pro audio, graphics, editing, and compositing applications. I am curious if anyone here has any experience using a linux based post production workflow? I know some of the industry's most powerful tools- da vinci color correctors and discreets high end finishing products are all linux exclusive, but I'm not sure if open source software is up to the task.

The main video editing application is Cinelerra (http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra10.php3). Has anyone used this program with the JVC and what were the results?
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Grunseth View Post
...Ubuntu Studio. It supposedly comes complete with everything you need for multimedia production, including pro audio, graphics, editing, and compositing applications. I am curious if anyone here has any experience using a linux based post production workflow?
I looked at Ubuntu Studio myself recently, and found it woefully inadequate for video production as-is. Most of the bundled apps are geared towards audio production, and the few video production utilities are primitive at best.

The general state of FOSS and affordable commercial Linux software for video production is lacking right now, particularly at market level you find Premiere, Final Cut, Edius, Vegas, etc. MainConcept's MainActor was about the closest thing you could find but it has been discontinued. (Even then, it was only about as advanced as Premiere Elements.)

Cinelerra is so heavily system specific, biased towards the needs of its original programmers, few people can make use of it without a lot of tinkering. And everything else is in the stratospheric, multi-thousand-dollar professional range.

I'd love to switch to Linux myself, but regrettably can't.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems