V mount or gold mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 16th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #1
New Boot

V mount or gold mount?

Hi guys, I'm looking for a new battery system to upgrade my HD110U. I am just confused by the V mount and gold mount as a beginner.

Which one is better? I have absolutely no idea.

Any recommendation guys?
Xiao Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #2
New Boot

i think by gold mount you mean (3-stud) generally, I believe 3-stud is the way to go, but slowly the industry is transitioning towards the V-mounts. That's my opinion though, I just got 2x V-mount batteries for my camera, and it's great. The marshall monitors supports V-mounts too.
Willis Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

V mount's the way to go

most of the guys I meet on the road who are using pro cameras are using V mount now. I have a Hawkshead mount and Swit 8080 batteries which I find very good value. One big advantage is that you can use other guys' chargers/or batteries if you are stuck for power. I don't know if there is any technical advantage - I get a good couple of hours of recording time from one battery with the Swits.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Major Player

v mount

I use v-mount on my 110. I like it because all the accessories I need (or ever think I might need) are usually powered by the v-mount. I also like that they are stackable. Although from experience I know that you can find AB batteries just about anywhere (even overseas if you're in a pinch) and I find that really convenient, but I've also been noticing the increasing trend in v-mount's popularity. The kit for a 110 is usually 1100 or so, it comes with 1 battery which will power the camera for about 3 hours continuous recording time, the mount adapter for your camera, and the dual quick charger, which charges 1 battery in about an hour and a half, or two batteries simultaneously in about 3 hours. replacement IDX batteries are about $200. AB batteries are about 5-600.

$.02 given.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #5
New Boot

thankz so much for the replies!!!!!

I'm going V mount now.

I'm going to order charger, 2 X 130wh batteries and the JVC adaptor from a china company. The quality of the stuffs looks good, the battery even comes with LCD display for remaining power/charge cycle and standard 12v power tap,circuit protection, overload protection etc.
All for 400USD only (without shipment and tax). 190wh battery costs only 200USD

The price may sound cheap to you, but guys, 200USD is an ordinary people's 2 months salary in China.

I try to post a review on these stuffs when I got them. It will be probably after march.
Xiao Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #6
New Boot

... where do you buy your batteries? my 90wh costed me $350/ea with no LCD
Willis Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Trustee

a lot depends on your local. in the US, the AB mount is the most common. The V mount has gained ground in part because of the JVC free battery offers. having been around a lot of public events, AB type batteries are the most common. you can figure that if you got in a jam, you could borrow a battery from some one, or use their charger for a quick recharge, or they from you. rental co's also tend to pretty much be AB mount, as are most news organizations. thats a huge number of AB mounts out there. there are also AB->V mount and V->AB mount adaptor plates, as well as NP1->AB and NP1->V, but NP-1 is a minority format battery mainly due to its limited battery capacity.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Major Player

not that it really matters (personal preference-both work equally well), but I went with AB for my cams. being associated with many broadcast entities, *ALL* of the people I work with use the AB/Gold mount. Made sense to me to go that way-i have *LOTS* of options if one of mine were to ever fail.

Sure you can argue cost...but I could have bought a handycam too... ;-)
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Anton Bauer Dionic 90 sell for AROUND $400 USD each (gold mount)
IDX E10S (98watts) sell for AROUND $350 USD each (V mount)
IDX E7S (71watts) sell for AROUND $200 USD each (V mount)
Sony BP-L80S (83.5 watts) sell for AROUND $500 USD each (V mount)
Sony BP-GL95 (95 watts) sell for AROUND $550 USD each (V mount)

For a long time NP1's were the king of the hill-then aklong came the Hytron 100, then the Li-On types came, the Dionics came on strong but most broadcast folks loved the Hytrons, so much so, they came out with a 120 but it didn['t go over as well as they had hoped. So now they came back with the 100 and the 140. Having used the 100s,120s, and Dionic90s (they also have a 160) I prefered the 90s and I see a lot of newies going to them as well. Weight considerations is a big reason. Now after all is said and done a lot of people are going to V mount be it Sony or IDX and they are fine batteries but I do agree that if I go back to using a camera that needs that type of battery again I'll probably go back to my ABs - I like them, the performance, the warranty, all that but keep in mind the charger can set you back up to around 1300 or 1400. I don't think the IDX or Sony are quite that high burt he AB will charge 4 batteries very quickly and will charge any chemistry of battery they offer.
It's a pays your money-takes your choice deal I guess.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I agree with Don about AB's. I've have pretty good success using them over the years ( I had a digital trimpak that came with my supercam that I had to send into AB. They told me it had it had over 500 cycles on it and was still at 105% capacity, not bad for a at the time a four year old battery)

and when there was a problem, their service made it right. and FWIW, I haven't seen too many non AB's in my neck of the woods.
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #11
Major Player

It is indeed a rather local matter. Europe used to use NP1 and now they virtually all use V-mount. In the US the Anton-Bauer mount is still popular. No clue what the situation in Zimbabwe is.

Good thing to power the 110 with serious batteries. One 90Watt WespGear battery (either V-mount or A/B) will last you for over 5 hours at about €225. For 5 hours you would need quite a few of small batteries. Chargers for V-mount and AB-mount alike are rather more expensive then consumer-type chargers though.
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The situation in Zimbabwe....

... is pretty sorry, really. Ridiculous local politics aside, I work all over the world - but mostly for European broadcasters. As I said, I've found V-lock is becoming more and more commonly used. In Africa generally most kit comes through SA and Kenya, and most of those suppliers seem to follow European trends - partly, I'm sure, because certainly in Anglophone East and Southern Africa, PAL is the broadcast standard...
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM   #13
Space Hipster

I bought both mounts for my HD-200, so if I should find myself needing to use someone else's batteries, I can go either way. It's a pretty simple operation to change the plates. I find the A-B mount to be more secure, however, so I normally use that mount. Also, the DY-HD100 mount is a lot cheaper for the A-B mount, I don't know why.

Get one of each. They're cheap and it's good insurance.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems