BR-HD50 not visible in Windows Vista-64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 27th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

BR-HD50 not visible in Windows Vista-64

I installed Vista-64 just for becoming more familiar with the new OS and its features. While almost all components work fine, I cannot use JVC's BR-HD50 until now. The operating system does not recognize it when connecting it to a IEEE1394 port. It is not a matter of the port, as it recognizes my Camcorder GY-HD200.
Does anybody have an idea?

Joachim Claus
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Major Player

I have the same problem in XP pro! Sometimes it just won't see the HD50. I find that if I switch between HDV and DV on IE1394 enough times and restart, sometimes kick it, it works! Sometimes it doesn't sometimes it does!

I've checked, tested and tried EVERYTHING!!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I have exactly the same problem with Vista. I find it strange since it will recognize the camera, just not the BR-HD50. It makes no sense to me. I tried to post about this before, but no one had an answer. I have been told elswhere that we will have to wait for a Windows Vista service pack release with updated drivers...etc.
Again, what is most confusing is that Vista does see the camera! Isn't the deck basically the same tape mechanism as the camera without sensors and optics?????
Hopefully some one will have some input here, we can't be the only one with this problem!

Jay Webster
WPI/NY
Jay Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I contacted both, Micrososft and JVC. From Microsoft I got the answer, that it is not a Vista-Problem, but a Problem of a missing driver to be provided by JVC. From JVC I got the answer, that until now the BR-HD50 is not cert5ified for Vista.

My assumption is, that somewhere in Vista is a filter, which does not pass the connect request coming from the tape recorder. It is based on the hardware identity of the recorder, which it passes to the host computer when connecting.

I have tried to modify the Vista registry, however, the new security mechanisms do not allow to make changes in certain entries. I have not yet found a method to switch-off thes security mechanisms.

Joachim Claus
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #5
Major Player

This is indeed true and very annoying. It is strange because I assumed all OHCI compliant devices would work. The JVC GY-HD100/200/250 camcorders work, the HD50 recorder doesn't.

I have first encountered this problem about 7 months ago and notified tech staff of JVC. Still no progress it seems, and I suppose it won't be any time soon. An update of vista probably?
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have installed Vista Service Pack 1. No change with BR-HD50.

Joachim Claus
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Trustee

Does this problem happen just in VISTA or XP Pro too?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

HD50 is recognized in Windows XP Prof. without problems. However, I had to install the SP1 driver. With SP2 I had the same problems.

With Vista I have not managed to install the XP-driver.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

As Joachim has pointed out, I too have no problem with XP (I have SP2 installed and there is no problem). I was hoping that the service pack 1 for Vista would solve the problem, but if I understand correctly it apparently does not!
quite frustrating.

Jay Webster
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have just installed the new firmware (vers. 1.09) for the Br-HD50 and Vista will now recognize the deck. I can even capture in Premiere CS-3 with complete control. BTW this is now working without having installed Vista SP-1!
Give the new firmware a try!
Hope this helps all those who are having this frustrating problem!

Jay Webster
Dir/Cameraman
NY
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Webster View Post
I have just installed the new firmware (vers. 1.09) for the Br-HD50 and Vista will now recognize the deck. I can even capture in Premiere CS-3 with complete control. BTW this is now working without having installed Vista SP-1!
Give the new firmware a try!
Hope this helps all those who are having this frustrating problem!

Jay Webster
Dir/Cameraman
NY
Thank you Jay for this information. I have asked JVC Germany for the new frimware and got it the same day. The recorder is now recognized by Vista.

For the US-version of the BR-HD50(U), the update is available for download from JVC's US-homepage.

Joachim
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems