Firestore FS Device compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Tourist

Firestore FS Device compatability

Hi there:

I was wondering if any of you have used the Firestore FS series with the JVC HD 100 camera?

I contacted the Firestore people and they sent me an email saying that the one which is specially designed for the HD100 is the one to buy.

Can you record to the FS series at all? Is there simply a loss of certain features?

The main reason I am asking is because I am trying to buy one on the secondary market and the JVC HD 100 compatible model does not come up for sale very often but the FS series certainly does.

This is my first post on this board after purchasing my camera and various accouterments and I must say that I have learned a lot already just from the discussions I have read. Thanks very much to all who have put so much great knowledge in the public domain!

All the best,
Erik Kafrissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Major Player

you'll want to buy the FS4-HD if you dont want to pay the extra cost for the DR-HD100. If you could fork out the cash and you had clients and jobs waiting though, id have to tell you that the DR-HD100 is worth it as it will speed up your workflow tremendously, and it seems to be a solid device. Some people seem to have differing experiences with the FS4- i had one for a year and i never ran a tape through the machine while I had it. while i still had to use mpegstreamclip to transcode the .m2t files to something else FCP could understand, it was still a time saver and its difficult to go back to tape after experiencing a tapeless workflow- especially in longform projects.
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi,
I dont mean to hyjack the thread here but I too am in this situation. I cant see me being able to afford the 100 because I would need 2. I dont use FCP so I dont need quicktime files I just need native 720p 30 or 24 files if I use quicktime I can convert it with Procoder. Fot the record does the FS-4 record when I hit the trigger? and let me roll a backup tape?and make native HDV 720p 30 or 720p 24? thats all I need.

Thanks
Randy
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

FS4 HD works fine. I run mine with a tape at the same time (back up). Writes M2T files that work in Avid Liquid. Just record as normal, plus you get 6 second retro cache - useful in event type shoots :)

I havent managed to get mine to record totally tapeless, but thats my fault probably :)

I am going to upgrade the hard drive next week to 120 gigs.

Hope that helps
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Trustee

Nice. good to know theres options when I get my Firewire ports fixed Nnovia,Firestore and the new quickstream.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems