Just Purchased a New HD200...Not What I Expected! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
I post never, everyone else posts everyday -- I have to be a rookie, right?
On this site there is of course absolutely no correlation implied whatsoever between a member's post count and their measure of experience. But a cool head with a non-confrontational posture goes a *long* way on DV Info Net.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Regular Crew

And I'm trying to remain that way. I tried earlier to change my post title, but it only changed the subtitle. A member's post count ***shouldn't*** be indicative of their experience, but human nature is what it is.

I'm confguring Dashwood's scene files for the 200 right now (I already have them for the 100). I didn't do this initially because of the focus issues, but I'll re-backfocus (again), load up the same scene files, and give it a run. I'll post the comparitive results when I'm done.

Thanks,

Lee
Lee Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
... and I'm more than willing to try anything ...
It definitely seems lens related. Not saying you have done this error...but, there is this little caution in the manual to not mistake the macro adjustment for the back focus. :-)

Anyway, I would check the back focus again after leaving the camera "on" for a while. Your using a small chart and there is a possible margin for error. Make sure you are looking at it on a large monitor...w/ the iris all the way open...w/ the shutter speed compensating for the light...and with the proper distance from the chart.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
I find it alarming that the lenses are not interchangeable.

Can anyone confirm this!?
I second that. what if your hd100 dies of old age and you upgrade to a 200 (body only)? shouldn't you be able to use the 100's lens?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #20
Inner Circle

JVC markets these cameras as "Professional". They don't really support them that way. I was in Lee's exact situation about 7 years ago with a brand new DV500. It didn't work properly out of the box and there was an impending shoot. I lost the project because they wouldn't replace it. It took TWO trips to JVC and 3 months in sick bay before the camera was back in my hands and working.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #21
Regular Crew

JVC Perfect Experience Statement
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/pepolicy.jsp
Johnnie Behiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Perfect experience program

I did not read every post but if you purchased your camera within the past 30 days you can utilize JVC's perfect experience program. The link to the site is: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/pepolicy.jsp

This program allows an exchange of your faulty camera for a brand new one. If you authorize jvc to charge your card the total amount temporarily to ensure your camera is sent back, JVC will send you your new camera next day(extremely fast). Once your faulty camera is received they will remove the charged amount. I have had my hd200 and 100 and both work perfectly. Your camera may just be faulty.

Hope this helps!
Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Behiri View Post
JVC Perfect Experience Statement
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/pepolicy.jsp
Thank you for that link -- man, there's a reason I don't grey market shop.

A really quick update: I'm setting up Dashwood's scenes, and as I mentioned before, the cam is pretty loud. Every once in a while, the sound from the cam changes a little, and when it does, there's a glitch on the LCD -- I'm not doing aything other than looking at the LCD (not changing between menus, etc.). I have it hooked up to a monitor, but I haven't caught it there yet.

I'm as back-focused as I personally can get the cam to be. I'm just going to load up CineWide, fire away, and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Lee

P.S. I will try to change the lenses again on the chance that I made an error.
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #24
Major Player

I would definitely try the lenses again. I'm 99.999% sure that they are interchangeable. See if both lenses work on both units.

Regarding the fan- I own two 200's and they behave exactly the same. There is a slight whirring but it's BY FAR not loud enough to get picked up by my Audio Technica shotgun mics.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #25
Inner Circle

The overworking fan is a give-away of sorts. There is something on the motherboard that's gone very wrong. The "degrading picture", if it's degrading by the way of pixelation or other digital artifact, is a sign of processor failure especially if this problem is coming directly out of the camera not by way of tape playback. If the lens works on the HD100 then the lens is likely OK.

Try the camera on battery power only or the AC adapter if you haven't used both yet. Probably you'll get the same result. See if there's a full reset for the 200 (I don't have one). You might try turning the camera on with any power source connected. Some cameras can be reset this way although I can't vouch that this works for the HD200.

I think the "JVC Perfect Experience" option is going to be your out here.
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Lee,
I own a 200, but frequently use a clients 100 and 110.
My 200 is louder than those cameras. It doesn't roar, or change in tone, but it is noticeable. Others have complained about this too. It's a fan, and like computer or hard drive fans, if it isn't installed properly or gets misaligned, they can be louder than they should. The 200 has a more powerful processor, and generally requires more cooling though in my understanding.
30db louder would be intolerable though, and in itself suggests a problem.

Regarding the white balance, 2800K is a pretty common for an internal scene.
It takes strict studio lighting and bright white to get 3200, although I often prefer the slightly warmer tone of the preset. I don't pay a lot of attention to this number generally, but the 200 may actually be more accurate here.

The softening of the image on zoom out is a real concern though. One of my clients had problems with this, and others have reported it, in some cases with uneven focus over the frame. In that case we suspected metal burrs on the lens mounting area. In the case I investigated, I removed the lens, inspected and wiped the areas, put the lens back on, back-focused with a large monitor and chart with the aperture wide open and the problem was gone. An optical issue really seems to be the most likely problem with these symptoms. I wonder if the lens interchange problem could be related? Maybe a close examination of the lens and camera's mounts might turn up something. The lenses should definitely be interchangeable.

If there is an optical problem, then that would explain poor results overall.

I wouldn't expect Tim's Superwide setting (cinewide is the 100 version I think) to be the best comparison setting.

I also haven't compared at standard rez between cams. Mine looks good to me in NTSC DV, and in comparing at HD looks as good or better than the 100 series.

This is certainly an appropriate case for the JVC Perfect Experience clause. As well as your dealer, find out who your JVC regional sales manager is, and contact them directly. Document the symptoms well, as you have here.

JVC actually services it's pro customers very well, but take the extra effort to make sure that you get personal attention from a rep there rather than just sending it back to your dealer.

and of course, keep us posted. I'll be curious to hear what these symptoms turn out to indicate. I think it's unlikely you'd be disappointed with my 200.
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #27
Trustee

Lee, the difference in color temperature is correct, the two cameras report different values. I had exactly the same experience. It's puzzling but consistent. The lenses should be interchangeable, I was able to swap them as much as I wonted. The degradation of the image is not normal but in general I like the image of the HD100 more than the HD200/250.
Given your deadline I would suggest to try to find another HD100 in your area and shoot in that way. Solve the issues with the HD200 later, without the schedule conflict.

Good luck.
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Thank you all for the replies. Here's what I've done so far (we had company earlier, or I would have had this completed already):

-(2) tests - One with T.D's Cine Wide Lattitude, the other with his Low-Light recipe.

I backfocused both using a star chart and a large monitor. I did the best I could do.

I'm about to capture the video. Even though it will only be about 4 minutes of video, I will have to compress the footage for upload. I'll use a .wmv codec at 1500mbps CBR. I know it's not ideal, but for this test, it will at least compare apples to apples.

I'll capture the footage from the same device to eliminate yet another possible variable.

Due to the file sizes, I shot both of these in SD 60i.

Lens interchangability: They are interchangeable....I have no idea why it didn't work the first time, but it does now, so I'll chaulk it up to user error.

I did clean all of the glass thoroughly on both.

I'll post the links with the results as soon as they are available. I'll let you guys be the judge and jury on whether I'm a nut case or not.....

Thanks,

Lee
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #29
Major Player

Lee,

Check the macro switch on your 200 lens and make sure that it wasn't bumped off it's detent position. If it's off it's detent, it will affect the lens like the back focus is off only worse in most cases. If it's in the correct setting then it could be an internal problem with the macro.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn View Post
Lee,

Check the macro switch on your 200 lens and make sure that it wasn't bumped off it's detent position. If it's off it's detent, it will affect the lens like the back focus is off only worse in most cases. If it's in the correct setting then it could be an internal problem with the macro.

Ben
Thanks, Ben. I checked the macro switch on both cams before the test. Here's a link with test footage shot with both cameras. I uploaded the clips as .avi's, so the files are large. I don't expect many folks will want to take the time to download them, but for those that do, your feedback is appreciated. Please bear in mind that this test was not intended to be an adventure in cinematography ;)

http://www.devserv1.com/TestVids/vidTest.html

Last edited by Lee Roberts; March 16th, 2008 at 11:16 AM.
Lee Roberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems