Resolution tests between Canon XH-A1 & JVC HD-200 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 25th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi Ben,

That was also my line of thinking, because I was just so tired of servo lens and their sluggishness.

A classic example is when shooting speeches at a wedding where you need to occasionally pan around the room getting reactions from relevant people; on the Canon there's alot of guess work with refocusing each time you frame a new shot because the focus ring is free-wheeling with no barrel markings or hard stops, whereas with the JVC you know when you whip back to the lectern you can throw the focus ring back to it's original marking. This is also important because I do a lot of Vietnamese weddings where they announce special guests at some point in the evening and each guest stands up for a few seconds when announced; now, you have no idea where that person is going to pop up from within a room of 200-400 guests so you gotta really be on the ball to get a well focussed medium shot each time. I used to dread doing these shots with the Canon because even at the fastest lens response setting it was still way too sluggish for this kind of work. This, and getting steadier shots was probably my main reason for adding the JVC to my arsenal.

JT
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn View Post
I think that if I could put the canon processing in my jvc-100 I would. I much prefer the color rendition of the canon over the jvc. I can't stand the greenish tint of the jvc.
What colour settings are you using? One of the advantages of the JVC is the colour correction it lets you do on the menu. You can basically put the colour tones at your preference. If you think your JVC has a greenish tint try to correct it. I do not have a greenish image on my HD100 or my HD200, in fact I think one of the good caractheristics of these cameras is the natural and realistic colours it reproduces. There are so many parameters to change the image tones that you can't really say that it is greenish or redish, you can always change it.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #18
Major Player

Yes, you can say that the jvc has a greenish hue. Sony cameras have a cool look, Canon has a warm look, and jvc has a greenish hue. You can only do so much in camera and yes you can get rid of it, but then your reds become oversaturated so you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul : ( Each camera has natural looks that it's better at capturing. It's actually fine if I use an color corrector in an editor. It would be nice however if I didn't have to do that extra step every time.

Agreed about the lens. There's just no substitue for a manual lens. It allows you to really work it like the tool it is.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yes, you can say that the jvc has a greenish hue. Sony cameras have a cool look, Canon has a warm look, and jvc has a greenish hue. .
Neither my old DV500 nor my HD100 have a greenish hue.

The most common critique I've heard of sony is to "Videoy" looking.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Neither my old DV500 nor my HD100 have a greenish hue.

The most common critique I've heard of sony is to "Videoy" looking.
Exactly, Sony always have that plastic look.

I'm sorry Ben but I really can't find that greenish hue on my cameras. When the iris is fully opened the image is greenish on the bottom and redish on the top, but that is caused by CAs on the lens. You say you can't stand the greens on the JVC, is it possible to be an issue on your camera? Do you notice the same on other units?
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #21
Major Player

I don't know why but it always stands out to me. Other people never notice it but I always see it. It could just be me but I've seen it countless times in video that people have posted here and they don't color correct it. Maybe my eyes are just more sensitive to green : )

Sony definitely has a "videoy" image because it's so absolutely sharp, crisp, and cool in color temp. If you want a clean image then it can deliver it.
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
I don't know why but it always stands out to me. Other people never notice it but I always see it. It could just be me but I've seen it countless times in video that people have posted here and they don't color correct it. Maybe my eyes are just more sensitive to green : )

Sony definitely has a "videoy" image because it's so absolutely sharp, crisp, and cool in color temp. If you want a clean image then it can deliver it.
Ben, by chance are you wearing sun glasses with a green tint? Just kidding.

These are all interesting comments because we're using subjective terms to describe image. This is like perfume chemists sitting around deciding which perfume smells better! I sure like the smell of the HD100, a tad of rosemary with a hint of honeysuckle and an oh so sexy dash of sea breeze!
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #23
Major Player

Great analogy Brain! You said it right, it's all subjective anyway. I think I actually prefer a hint of cinnamon with mine : )
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #24
Major Player

hmmm I think my HD110 is fairly even.

Well since i've run Sony and Panasonic and now JVC HD110, I think it's fairly neutral actually. But I balance off a true white card every time, AND THAT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I think the stock Auto White Balance is DEFINATELY GREEN. But I white balance and check exposure with a 18% grey card once an hour every hour on an outside shoot for the last 20 years. My other learned adjustments for the JVC110 is +4 on color to make it more saturated like a DVCPRO-HD, and drop Detail to Min to get rid of the oversharpening artifacts that makes it look like a video Sony. If I'm around a lot of fencing or doing strictly narrative, the Detail goes to OFF. IF I think I'm too muddy later, a simple filter in FCP sharpen of around 5 or 10 is all that I want, and I set key frames to adjust it from there. Oh and 24p or death for later DVD or iTunes HD. Should we post some pics of what colors we are liking/not liking?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems