Best way to capture from an HD200U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Best way to capture from an HD200U

I just bought an HD200U and love it, but I am using Final cut and it just doesn't like to capture.
I heard there is other software that captures from this camera without any problems, is that true and what is that software?

Can you capture from that software and just bring the clips in to FCP?

Thanks for the help
Manuel De Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Are you using v6.0.2 of FCP and the latest firmware for the HD200? Use the Easy Setup for whatever format you shot.

Also, use ProHD tapes for the best results and clean your heads after every 10-20 hours of use.

If you are still having problems capturing from HDV using the HDV capture preset, then try the HDV - ProRes422 setting.
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Manuel, the following works fine for the HD100, I haven't tried it with the 200 but it probably applies as well. Anyway, it's based on free software so you have nothing to loose.

There is the free DVHSCap, from Apple, search for the FW SDK. With that you get the straight .m2t files. You can then convert them to QT movies with MPeg Stream Clip. Also free. Do a search in this forum, you'll find some descriptions on how to use it, it's pretty straightforward. Be aware that converting from HDV tapes to ProRes will incur in a small image degradation which can be acceptable depending on your footage and how you feel about lossy compression . If you convert to QT you can use Uncompressed or Sheer for lossless compression. Either way those clips will work in FCP.
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #4
New Boot

I am using FCP 5.1.4 and the camera is a week old from B&H.
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Paolo, ThanksTim,

Does this workflow affect in any way the format of the footage(the frame rate etc.) because when I try to capture, DVHSCap will recognize the camera automaticly but does not give you an option to choose the format(HDV 720 24 etc.)

Is it possibly to capture natively in Premiere or vegas and then transport to FCP without any conversion?

Thanks Again,

P:D: Love your work by the way.
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel De Haro View Post
Thanks Paolo, ThanksTim,
Is it possibly to capture natively in Premiere or vegas and then transport to FCP without any conversion?
Hi Manuel,
Unless I'm mistaken, Vegas will only capture HDV in the M2T format which means that you would still have to convert to Quicktime for FCP.

JT
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Does this workflow affect in any way the format of the footage(the frame rate etc.) because when I try to capture, DVHSCap will recognize the camera automaticly but does not give you an option to choose the format(HDV 720 24 etc.)
Nope. DVHSCap is grabbing the raw stream from the camera, that's what a .m2t file is. There is no conversion and that's the reason why you don't see options. The footage on disk is exactly in the format that is on tape, including the duplicated frames created to record 24p on DV tape. That's where you use MPEG Streamclip. In it you need to select a codec, specify the frame rate, 23.976, deselect the stuff about interlaced scaling etc and MPSC will output a QT file that is at the expected frame rate, basically removing the duplicated frames.

Quote:
No but Premiere can edit the files directly. In fact the capture in PPro CS3 seems a lot better and more reliable than FCP's. The files created are MPEG clips. You can then convert them using MPSC and import them in FCP. A little convoluted but given the reliability of Premiere's capture you gain the ability to log the clips and being able to recapture them in the future, something that is only sketchy in FCP with the ProHD cameras.
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #8
New Boot

You guys are a blessing, I can't thank you enough.
I still can't understand how a company wil make a great camera and have a crippled capture workflow, I am super impressed with the quality of the image even when captured on the DV setting, I just didn't want to return this camera because it just fits my work very well.

Thank you all,

Manuel
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
I still can't understand how a company wil make a great camera and have a crippled capture workflow
Truth to be told, as demonstrated by Premiere, HDVxDV and DVHSCap, the latter ironically an Apple program, it's really Apple's lack of commitment to this camera that is the problem. You don't see that happening with the HVX200, a camera that was released after the HD100 but received complete support from Apple sooner than the JVC's product. My guess is that Apple and JVC don't communicate very well while the relationship with Panasonic is much better. Apple has a track record of not working well with independent developers, a complaint that I heard from several plugin programmers and hardware manufacturers.
See what happened with the release of QuickTime that broke After Effects for weeks. That happened exactly because Adobe got the new version of QT like anybody else, and that was not the first time that something like that happened.
I love Apple machines and the OS but FCP has given, over the years, more and more reasons to look for an alternative and so I recently switched to Premiere and was really pleased to see the integration with my HD100.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems