DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC Solid State Recorder w/Hard Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/119371-jvc-solid-state-recorder-w-hard-drive.html)

Jason McCormy October 27th, 2008 04:01 PM

Hmm. Are their any good options available now that integrate well with the camera? I'm somewhat concerned about having a harddrive running as they seem to break a lot. Any advice?

Werner Wesp October 27th, 2008 04:10 PM

The HDD system is rather robust. It's encased to make it a bit more shock proof. Obviously, it isn't as rugged as solid stated, but I've never experienced any problems - and I'm not known for handling my gear that carefully. Just to give you an idea: we rent out the DR-HD100 quite a lot and it hasn't broken up once (and renters are usually known for not respecting fragility of gear).

Jason McCormy October 27th, 2008 04:12 PM

Great. What about the firewire connection, I always hear horror stories of it burning out on a JVC. Does this pose a problem like that and does it get in the way?

That is one of the things I like about the look of the new solid state recorder coming this spring, it seems to actually connect without a wire. I might have that wrong though.

Werner Wesp October 27th, 2008 04:23 PM

The SxS recorder still connects by FireWire. The great thing about the HDD and the SxS is that you won't connect your camcorder to your PC anymore (just your card or your HDD), therefor eliminating the possibility to blow your FW-port... Another argument for HDD or SxS

Jason McCormy October 27th, 2008 04:33 PM

Oh! Can the recorder not blow the firewire port on the JVC? If not, that alone is another gigantic benefit! Huh! I'm sold!!

Johnnie Behiri October 28th, 2008 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner Wesp (Post 956353)
The SxS recorder still connects by FireWire. The great thing about the HDD and the SxS is that you won't connect your camcorder to your PC anymore (just your card or your HDD), therefor eliminating the possibility to blow your FW-port... Another argument for HDD or SxS

If we are talking about this device KA-MR100G, then there is no firewire connection.
The product is indeed attached directly to the back of the camera body.

Jason McCormy October 28th, 2008 07:34 AM

And this device will not be out until this spring?

Jason McCormy October 28th, 2008 07:40 AM

Huh. I realize something, are we talking about two different devices? One that has a harddrive and also records to normal flash cards and the other that records to SXS cards? Did one get dropped for the other?

Jason McCormy October 28th, 2008 07:56 AM

Actually, originally I was talking about the MR-HD200U JVC News Release - MR-HD200

Is this now not coming out? And if it is coming out, any idea when?

It looks pretty slick.

Johnnie Behiri October 28th, 2008 12:35 PM

According to a JVC product manager attending IBC, both devices will be in the market, and both do not require firewire for connection. It will be a direct connection.

Jason McCormy October 28th, 2008 01:22 PM

That is very cool. I understand one will be available this March, do you know when the other, the MR-HD200U, will come about?

Werner Wesp October 29th, 2008 01:36 AM

The 200 won't come out. It became the new shape of DR-HD100, and it's out now. The SxS recorder is still a few months.

If you want to connect to your current GY-HD200 you'll need firewire for both devices... You indeed mount it between camera and battery plate, but it still needs a video feed. Perhaps with future updates of the GY-HD200 FW will not be necessary anymore, but for now, if you remove the batteryplate, you'll see there's only a power connection - therefore you need firewire anyway.

That said, since you win't be using the firewire for capturing tapes, you won't blow that eitherway.

Jason McCormy October 29th, 2008 08:10 AM

Ok, thank you. When you say the new shape of the DR-HD100, does that mean it now mounts directly to the battery plate?

And thank you again for your help. I'm going to order this.

Werner Wesp October 30th, 2008 07:34 AM

No, it's still with a bracket behind your battery. The bracket connects to your batteryplate, though...

Stuart Nimmo October 30th, 2008 10:51 AM

About blowing the firewire card. Since i received Tim's excellent DVD I've fixed small hinged red plastic cards with a large "'!" on them over both the rear switch and the firewire port so that you have to lift them to either switch or plug the firewire. Old age is hell.....