DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC Solid State Recorder w/Hard Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/119371-jvc-solid-state-recorder-w-hard-drive.html)

David Parks April 14th, 2008 10:32 AM

JVC Solid State Recorder w/Hard Drive

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2008/nab/mrhd200.html

New Solid State Recorder with both Hard Drive and SD card.

Bill Ravens April 14th, 2008 10:47 AM

woohooOO!
About time other manuf jumped into this market.

Randy Johnson April 14th, 2008 01:24 PM

yeah, it doesnt work with a GY-HD100 I wonder why not?

Terry Lee April 14th, 2008 01:29 PM

It says all JVC ProHD cameras...

Where did you read that it doesn't support HD100?

Bill Ravens April 14th, 2008 01:34 PM

where did you hear that?
both cams have the same output, so, I assume component out is component out

Tim Brown April 14th, 2008 01:40 PM

Quoted from Press Release:

"LAS VEGAS, NV (April 14, 2008) -- At NAB, JVC previews the next generation of file base recording that combines affordable solid state memory and long length hard disk recording. The MR-HD200U is a new camera-mounted media recorder that attaches directly to any of JVC's award winning ProHD 200 Series camcorders."

Only works on the 200 series.

Randy Johnson April 14th, 2008 02:10 PM

I wonder what this will do to the firestore line? Since I cant use it maybe I can get a cheap Firestore 4. Or maybe it WILL work but just not with all the bells and whitsltes.

David Parks April 14th, 2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Brown (Post 860255)
Quoted from Press Release:

"LAS VEGAS, NV (April 14, 2008) -- At NAB, JVC previews the next generation of file base recording that combines affordable solid state memory and long length hard disk recording. The MR-HD200U is a new camera-mounted media recorder that attaches directly to any of JVC's award winning ProHD 200 Series camcorders."

Only works on the 200 series.

I bet you dollars to donuts that it will work with any camera with IEEE 1394 and that records in m2t. Firewire is firewire. Nothing proprietary about it.

Tim Brown April 14th, 2008 02:48 PM

I hope you're right David. They do say it will "attach" to the 200 series and NOT that it will only work with the 200 series.

If someone can go by the booth, could you please verify this for us still stuck at work/home. Many thanks if you can.

Justin Ferar April 14th, 2008 03:13 PM

Hopefully this thing can be powered by the 200's battery system. I was interested in firestore for a while but the fact that you need to have another set of batteries (and a dangling firewire cable) turned me off.

Looking forward to some pics...

Randy Johnson April 14th, 2008 03:43 PM

That could be why it said 200 is the 110 doesnt come with Anton/Bauer so maybe if you have a 110 with Anton/bauer it will work. BTW How much??

Giuseppe Pugliese April 14th, 2008 04:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
photos of unit seem to show that it attaches to the A/B mount on the 200... This is not cool, because all of us hd110 users dont have that mount unless you paid for one or got the free kit... problem is I have the IDX :(

Now i don't see any wires attached, it might have an interface directly with the mount on the 200 and only the 200 making this another way for JVC to push you to buy the 200's ugh.

When is someone going to come out with a unit that has Y/Pb/Pr connection that captures 10bit 4:2:2 uncompressed right out of the cameras components... and can run off a battery and not be over 2k?? Now thats something that could change life for me.

well anyway theres the photos of it below....

Randy Johnson April 14th, 2008 04:33 PM

Or it could be a CODEC issue, Where the 200 is capable of outputing AVCintra where the 110 will only do HDV?

Randy Johnson April 14th, 2008 04:36 PM

It would be pretty crappy of JVC not to make this backwards compatable considering all the firewire issues us 100/110 owners have had and that theres not that big a difference between the 110 and the 200.

Tim Polster April 14th, 2008 05:45 PM

The unit really makes the camera look back-heavy.

Robert Castiglione April 14th, 2008 05:59 PM

It might not be too back heavy for shoulder mounted work. I have had to put a heavy battery on the back to get the right balance - I suppose though it already has a heavy battery and the unit.

I must say that this plethora of different models and different features is getting somewhat confusing. I think I will stick with my trusty jvc hd111 and tape based recording until something truly revolutionary (with a revolutionary price) comes along in a a couple of years.

Rob

Randy Johnson April 14th, 2008 06:35 PM

It wont be too back heavy for me I have a wide angle converter on the lense that weighs about 1.5 lbs.. Id like to see what happens to the JVC deck now.

Giuseppe Pugliese April 15th, 2008 12:34 AM

I don't know about how everyone else feels, but i sure wish they would redesign the darn thing already, this camera is getting pretty ugly and pretty long. making it a more compact full size camera would be a lot better than continually making it longer...

Think of this... The JVC200 with their solidstate recorder attached, long life A/B battery, and on the front a cine lens adapter with lens and matte box....
THATS RIDICULOUSLY LONG!!

Start adding stuff to the top of the camera not the back of it JVC, its getting just weird.

George David April 15th, 2008 01:46 AM

The proHD camera is looking more like a long weapon instead of a very good looking camera (like it used to be).

Randy Johnson April 15th, 2008 04:56 AM

I can only get new cameras every 5 years or more, I want to make the most of what ive got I dont care how it looks. I'll care in 4 years when im in the market for a new one. On that note I think it was stupid for JVC to release a new camera without this "box" being built in thats clearly the way things are going.

Drew Curran April 15th, 2008 07:06 AM

My heart jumped when I saw this post, and then sank when I realised that it states compatiblity with the 200 series only.

I guess the HD100 users will have to go without.

Red Scarlet... interesting

Drew

Bill Ravens April 15th, 2008 07:22 AM

still not convinced that it won't work on the 100 series.

Brent Kolitz April 15th, 2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George David (Post 860703)
The proHD camera is looking more like a long weapon instead of a very good looking camera (like it used to be).

Agreed, but it still looks pretty cool in a long-lean-aggressive-shark kind of way...although I can't count the number of times I've backed into a wall with the camera on my shoulder.

However, this new arrangement for some reason looks much weirder and bulkier than hanging a DR-HD100 in back of the battery, mounted on the secure yet wobbly ABFSKIT2.

But even with the extra front weight of my 17x lens, my rig was totally back-heavy with the DR-HD100 mounted that way, and I ended up moving it to the top, using that newer A/B Firestore mount. But now the rig rolls to the right when it's on your shoulder, unless I mount a light to the hotshoe on a Noga arm and swing the light to the left in order to counterbalance the DR-HD100.

There's apparently just no good place to hang a data recorder on this camera (unless you're strictly on a tripod, in which case any of the above options work fine).

Hunter Richards April 15th, 2008 08:59 AM

I think its great to have a little more weight in the back (when using the 13x or 18x or 35mm adapter set-up). With the 13x on my hd200 the balance center is at the tripod mount, I have to add a large battery or tandem to extend the balance back to the shoulder mount.

Did I miss the price on this? It would be great to record to sd cards because they are getting very close to being as cheap as tape.

Alex Humphrey April 15th, 2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese (Post 860423)
When is someone going to come out with a unit that has Y/Pb/Pr connection that captures 10bit 4:2:2 uncompressed right out of the cameras components... and can run off a battery and not be over 2k?? Now thats something that could change life for me.....

Here here! Somebody will make it soon. Probably Focus Enhancements will come up with it first, though this is a great first step.. though I as well have a IDX battery system. So unless they make a different mount for IDX I am out of the loop as well. But I have a HD-100 DTE Pro now, so I'm not really missing anything.

Sean Adair April 15th, 2008 04:18 PM

I'm sure the mount and battery type won't be an issues - after all, many of the 200's like mine were sold with IDX batteries. To do 1080i, 200 series cameras will need the upgrade also announced recently.
Justin: the DR-HD100 or firestores run well off the d-tap (or powertap) on either IDX or Anton Bauer systems. The cables are $30, or come included with the mounts. I hate the rig that puts the firestore bouncing around way behind the battery, and opted to make a rig myself out of aluminum sheeting that puts it above the camera - somewhat like the newer AB system, but centrally balanced. Also hyave a tab to mount the lectro wireless receiver.

I suspect this unit will run off external power as well. It will probably be light enough to velcro onto a 3rd party bracket in a number of places.
I haven't had my DR-HD100 for very long. This sounds even more attractive to me. I'm very curious about the price point. Wonder if it's made by focus enhancements (they upgraded firestores now too with wireless logging FWIW)

Tim Dashwood April 15th, 2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 860796)
still not convinced that it won't work on the 100 series.

It apparently will work on the 100 and 200 series, the mount will just have to be mounted differently. Maybe it will just mount on the same type of plate you would use for a DRHD100? It just needs to receive power somehow.

I just got back from the JVC press luncheon and the powerpoint said that it will work with "all" of the prohd cameras. Since it records m2t as well as quicktime it would likely also work on other manufacturer's "HDV" cameras.

Keep in mind that this is just a prototype being shown at the booth, so some design elements could change or be modified by the time the thing is released.

Randy Johnson April 15th, 2008 04:54 PM

TIm, I know ive never told you this before but I love you man!

Randy

Randy Johnson April 15th, 2008 07:30 PM

Well is power is a problem and you use IDX you could get a IDX to anton bauer adapter for like $150 then get a anton/bauer back for your 110. It would be like $300 total but considering this box is probably like $1500 (just a guess) it wouldnt be out of the question to spend the extra $$$ if you want it bad enough.

Randy Johnson April 15th, 2008 07:33 PM

BTW about the size, if you look at the picture its a 250 which has the extra modual that the 110 doesnt have so it wont be as long as it is in the picture for us 100/110 owners. Well maybe mine will because I use the Azden wireless that mounts via Anton/bauer already.

George Strother April 16th, 2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese (Post 860423)
Now i don't see any wires attached, it might have an interface directly with the mount on the 200 and only the 200 making this another way for JVC to push you to buy the 200's ugh.

Just returned from NAB. It uses a firewire cable connection, per JVC reps at the show. And yes, it uses the Anton mount. Nicely integrated unit though.

John Sirb April 17th, 2008 03:13 PM

it would be nice if the firewire port ended up on the same side as the camera's port. then a FW cable with 90 degree connectors on both ends to keep it aerodynamic :>)

Randy Johnson April 17th, 2008 03:49 PM

It would also be nice if the Firewire didnt carry power so you wouldnt blow ports.

Robert Bale April 17th, 2008 06:12 PM

re price

This may help with all the drop out on long captures too, has any got a price on the unit yet,

is it PAL & NTSC or Both. I will need a PAL one down in Aus.

John Sirb April 17th, 2008 06:20 PM

If I'm reading the news release right, this unit has capacity of 90 Min in 720P mode. Maybe this initial release is being geared towards the TV stations shooting news ( a second station is my market just started using HD250's)

Michael Hurley April 18th, 2008 05:06 AM

Any idea on what sort of price we'll be looking at?

Chris Hurd April 18th, 2008 07:06 AM

JVC told me the price would be "below $3,000."

John Sirb April 18th, 2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 860499)
The unit really makes the camera look back-heavy.

You should have seen my old Panny 200 CLE with 19x lens, connecting adapter and SVHS deck attached. it had a wingspan of almost 31 inches.

back in my my younger and dumber days....

Randy Johnson April 18th, 2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 862775)
JVC told me the price would be "below $3,000."

Wow! hopfully well below $3000. at that price it almost makes sense to buy a new camera.

Chris Hurd April 18th, 2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sirb (Post 862808)
You should have seen my old Panny 200 CLE with 19x lens, connecting adapter and SVHS deck attached. it had a wingspan of almost 31 inches. back in my my younger and dumber days....

Off topic: Hooray, another one who has suffered under a 200CLE. That was my first "real" camera. Mine was tethered to a BVU-110 and just walking around was a workout!