Remote Focus Controller for Stock lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 14th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Remote Focus Controller for Stock lens

I've searched around for some threads on this and not had too much luck so far.

I have a steadicam flyer rig for the HD110 with stock lens. I'm also looking to introduce a few crane shots for a shoot next month.

I'm now desperately trying to find a remote focus control for the stock lens. So far...i've only found the varizoom lens controller. But i've not found a wireless one for a focus puller.

Here's the one i've found so far...has anybody got any experience with this?

http://www.proav.co.uk/product_info....roducts_id=284

What are your solutions/tips?

Many thanks in advance!!!
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Major Player

I'd like to cordially invite you to take a look at: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=121527

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for that link, quite helpful but i'm really looking for wireless, remote focus control for the stock lens. not for any 35mm adapted lenses.

Do you know of any units that do this??
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Trustee

[Mysterious Duplicate Post that appeared has been deleted.]
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Trustee

Call Jim Bartell and discuss your needs with him:
http://www.bartechengineering.com/

He makes the widely-used, professional quality wireless units for focus, iris.

I see you are in the UK. Maybe you would like to email first. With the weak dollar he might be a good person to talk to. He works pretty much alone putting together his systems. I suspect there's a good chance he put together something suited to your needs.

(Side note: the stock Fujinon lens takes a small gear wheel than the other Fujinon lenses -- such as the wide-angle -- for the JVC camera.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Rostance View Post
I've searched around for some threads on this and not had too much luck so far.

I have a steadicam flyer rig for the HD110 with stock lens. I'm also looking to introduce a few crane shots for a shoot next month.

I'm now desperately trying to find a remote focus control for the stock lens. So far...i've only found the varizoom lens controller. But i've not found a wireless one for a focus puller.

Here's the one i've found so far...has anybody got any experience with this?

http://www.proav.co.uk/product_info....roducts_id=284

What are your solutions/tips?

Many thanks in advance!!!
I own the Varizoom controller you link. I bought it for the JVC HD110.

The controller is wired as described on the website. There are two ways to use it:
1. Manually with the knob
2. Pushing a button to go between 4 presets.

Using this one manually is not ideal. The know is too small so a small movement makes too big a jump. It is also difficult to smoothly move into focus for the same reason. (After I received the unit I called Varizoom and told them what I didn't like and suggested a full size knob be used, or a push on "over" knob that could be used when wanted, including a marking wheel. Maybe someone could do this for himself.)

Using the presets works well. The unit goes from preset to preset in this order by pressing a single button: 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1. You can also go back and forth between just two presents. The motor has just one speed -- fast. However, it is fast and accurate. The unit is excellent for a jib where you go from one frame to another and need to quickly change focus.

The unit can also be used to focus the camera on a jib when you can't reach it, but you can see a monitor. Here the manual limitations aren't so much of a factor. The limitations are a factor when you are trying to pull focus while shooting. This unit is not good for that except by using the presets.

The unit has a built-in, permanent recharageable battery.

One issue I had with the JVC camera and wide angle lens is that the screw to attach to the lens was too long. I added washers to space it out and that worked fine.

I should also mention that the motor is not quiet. An on camera mic would surely pic up the sound. However, it's not so loud that it would be an issue with lavs, a boom or in a dead quiet situation.

This varizoom unit kind of impresses me as being half-way between home-built and professional. It has limitations, but if it is used within those limitations it can be quite useful.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems