New Fujinon Lens for JVC ProHD in Highdef mag at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Major Player

New Fujinon Lens for JVC ProHD in Highdef mag

Hey,

I just got the new Highdef magazine,

http://www.highdef.com/

download the magazine for free http://www.highdef.com/magazine/arch...08_3MayJun.pdf

and there is a quick blurb and pic of a new Fujinon lens. On the back page is a new addvertisment by JVC featuring a HD200 with a new Fujinon lens.

Just thought I would see let people know and find out if anyone knows anything else. Didn't see anything on FUjinon's website yet.. so it might be an early announcement. Hopefully NOT vaporware.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Major Player

hmmm, with some digging, it seems that they should be out in June and they are a 2/3 chip size.. so add $750 for an adapter.

I think they are these lenses here... no idea on price... So it might be great, it might be great if your are uber rich.

http://www.fujinon.com/Broadcast/Pro....aspx?cat=1029

So this might have been a pointless post, but maybe not. Lots of the 2/3 lenses are less than the 1/3 lenses just due to that there are more made per year for a wider market. Well, sorry to get anyone excited if it pans out there is nothing to get excited over.

alex
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Trustee

wow thats awsome but I think its going to be way out of my range.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think its's the bottom one.
High Quality 1/3 inch HD ENG/EFP lens with 2X extender featuring Digi Power servo.

http://www.fujinon.com/Broadcast/Pro...ry.aspx?cat=28
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:08 AM   #5
Trustee

Select Series 'Value Priced' Standard ENG Style HD lens.

hhmmm, I'm thinking thier idea of 'value priced' and mine are going to be somewhat different!

Still... looking forward to seeing a price on these!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Trustee

Well if im looking at the right one its about $9,000 thats twice what I paid for my camera.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Trustee

oh I found them, there for 2/3 inch chips. I guess we'll wait and see if they make a 1/3 inch version.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
$9000 isn't too much to spend on good glass. Thankfully, Fuji has given us a goodly number of options to choose from (including the stock lens), depending on our needs. I've started socking away cash for the 18 x 4.2 myself.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Trustee

I think this might be what you are looking for:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

This is the last lens in this link:
http://www.fujinon.com/Broadcast/Pro...ry.aspx?cat=28

It is a 1/3" chip, ProHD, meaning it is built for the JVC ProHD cameras. The B&H photo doesn't show the 2x extender like the ad does.

Since I'm not familiar with all the Fujinon lens for the ProHD cameras, I can't say if this is a new lens or one of the lenses introduced a short while back.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Trustee

$9,000 may not be too much for higer end pros but the fact that it cost as much as both of my GY-HD100s I can safely say its WAY out of my reach. The thing about lenses is there a bargin when you buy them with the camera, its when you have to buy them by themselves where the price goes crazy.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Randy, please understand that this is not intended to offend you in ANY way.

As a "higher end pro" who needs a video zoom lens as opposed to using the COPLA with film Primes, I'm THRILLED that I have the option to move up in quality and wider in scope with a Fuji lens, as opposed to my friends that have bought competing technologies. And yes, I understand that said lens is more expensive than my camera but so was the wide angle lens I used to use at the CBC in front of a BetaSX camcorder.

It's an option, not a requirement thankfully and I'm happy to have the choice and relieved that one of the finest manufacturers of video lenses sees enough longevity in the camera that I wagered my business' foray into HD content on to give us REAL options. I mean, a 2x extender is available? For a camera that cost me under $6000? 11 years ago when I started Media College, I NEVER would have thought this would have been possible.

Again, the lens isn't for everybody, but neither is the COPLA and no one seems to be complaining about it costing $4500 or so without a lens to place in front of it.

Again folks, just my 2 cents but I'm THRILLED!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM   #12
Trustee

Oh im not offended, Except at the $9,000 price tag:) the lenses that comes with the GY-HD100 is poor I understand but it works for me I just wish it went wider. I have a wide angle adapter but its soft. I understand the higher end guys need OPTIONS I just wish there were some OPTIONS for use lower guys too. The list on the bundled lense that came with my camera is like $2,500 (more than its worth) I would pay $2,500 for a simular lense that was %20-30 wider. I know how glass prices work I am a engineer for a t.v. station I just think its funny how bundles work. My camera before this one was a AJ-D215 (DVC pro) it was a $5,000 camera that came with a charger 2 anton/bauer batterys and a really good Fuji 17X1 lense. I wanted to buy another lenses for one of my other 215s the lense by itself was $6,500 it made more sense for me to buy a whole other kit:)
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #13
Major Player

This is the mother of all lenses for our cameras

if you don't mind the costs, its the 18x4.2 BERM which gives a focal length of 4.2 - 151mm.
http://www.fujinon.com/Broadcast/Pro...cat=28&id=1074

its' about $14000 roughly at BHphoto, but this is the proper image of the lens, the one on b&H is the BRM version.

My thing would be I'd want to see if you can try before you buy, I mean that's a lot of $$ to fork out if it doesn' do what you expect, I used a 1/2 BERM Fujinon on HD101s using the adapter, it was ok in Standard Def 4:3, but when we used the 2x extender it went way soft, on the Panasonic DV2000 it came off it was sharp, so I guess the soft factor was the adapter and conversion from 1/2 to 1/3. I guess you just want to make sure this lens is just as sharp with the extender engaged as with it not. Otherwise the exercise is pointless. But considering the only other option in the 1/3 inch lenses is the Canon 20x, another lens I've never seen footage from, for a little more money your getting a whole lot more versatile lens.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #14
Trustee

Hi guys.

I think you may have this wrong...isn't the new range pre-fixed ZA ???

as in

ZA17X7.6BERM

I might be wrong but I don't think they are currently available and if so, hey you never know, we may still be able to dream of that bargain HD lens ;-)

Last edited by Mat Thompson; May 24th, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #15
Major Player

Mat, do you have a link to the "ZA prefix" for 1/3" lenses you mention? The fujinon site should be authoritative, and it appears this line is only for 2/3" cams. I think the lens in the magazine picture is definitely the HTs18x4.2BERM - the "E" lens has that wart on the camera left side. ($14,000)

It's definitely great to have these lenses available. For those near larger cities, many of these will be available for rent.

Randy. The 17x lens is available in some packages from JVC. It's about $3000, and it really is a significant improvement. I valued the standard lens at well under $1000, given the price difference of the camera sans lens.
The 13x lens is about 40% of what it originally was, and this is a real beauty. I hope I can afford one while the 1/3" format is still viable!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems