Capturing Setup for 24PA advanced? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing Setup for 24PA advanced?

I shot some DV footage in 24PA on the HD 110U. In my easy setup I chose all rates and 24PA. In my sequence setting I have the codec at proress 422. I am getting capture gaps when I capture. Does anyone know a way to fix this? Is it okay if I use proress 422 in my sequence settings? Or do I need to use something else?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

adjust the capture setting as close to a 0 second pre and post roll so that all the frames are captured and not dropped. You can also bypass the 422 compression and just select hdv 720 24p capture from the capture preset settings.
Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Smith View Post
I shot some DV footage in 24PA on the HD 110U. In my easy setup I chose all rates and 24PA. In my sequence setting I have the codec at proress 422. I am getting capture gaps when I capture. Does anyone know a way to fix this? Is it okay if I use proress 422 in my sequence settings? Or do I need to use something else?
Are your gaps just at start/stop points in your tape? It sounds like you weren't using REGEN TC when you shot. You should be able to capture over start/stop breaks if REGEN TC is used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
You can also bypass the 422 compression and just select hdv 720 24p capture from the capture preset settings.
Stephen shot DV mode so "NTSC 24P Advanced Pulldown Removal" should work as a capture preset.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The gaps are not from the start and stop. It happens right in the middle of my dialog section. I have always shot in 24p mode and never had this issue. To be honest I didn't really do my homework on 24PA... I had heard it dod something with the pulldown that made it easier for final cut to conform the 24 frames to the 30fps time base. So I thought I was going to make it easier for fcp... Can someone explain the whole 24pa thing to me?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Can someone explain the whole 24pa thing to me?
It is explained in section 2.2 in this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p#Advanced_pulldown
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
The gaps are not from the start and stop. It happens right in the middle of my dialog section. I have always shot in 24p mode and never had this issue. To be honest I didn't really do my homework on 24PA... I had heard it dod something with the pulldown that made it easier for final cut to conform the 24 frames to the 30fps time base. So I thought I was going to make it easier for fcp... Can someone explain the whole 24pa thing to me?
Sounds like a dropout is screwing up the pulldown. You should try capturing as regular old NTSC 60i and then use the "Remove Advanced Pulldown" function from the Tools menu of FCP after you've captured. This will modify the quicktime files without recompression and leave you with 24fps clips.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Trustee

24PA shooting on the JVC just doesn't work right. there are small errors in the data stream that causes FCP to mess up. do like TIm says & capture at 60i, then remove once its in. double work I know, but it will work. 24PA capture is in some respects more flaky then HDV capture in FCP. please complain here

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

that they need to fix capture and release a patch NOW, not a year from now. its one of the reasons I'm switching over to Prem Pro, it captures HDV perfectly. in fact it will capture over the drop outs that kill FCP and you can see them. the deck & camera have very good drop out compensation so you won't see it visually unless its a really bad one.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems