How to see infared with GYHD-100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 13th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I am surprised to see there is no JVC GY-HD--- version listed on the resellers or at the Electrophysics Corp home site.

I think there could be a hack though. This would be to use the 2/3" or 1/2" broadcast lens adaptor for the JVC, then to fit the 2/3" or 1/2" broadcast versions of the Astroscope to that. You would not be able to use the Fujinon standard zoom lens on front but you would have to get hold of a broadcast lens of 2/3" or 1/2" type.

The downside of this hack is that with the 1/2" versions you would likely lose about 2mm of the edge of the available rectangular display area available out of the 18mm wide display tube image and resolution would suffer. You would lose even more with the 2/3" version.

I think they may have their tube res up to about 70 line pairs per mm but you need as much of the rectangular frame out of the 18mm diameter tube display as you can get for best resolution.

Their page refers to 1/3" support so the JVC may not be placarded but there might just be a kit. It would not be a big deal to make up a mount module for the JVC as they already have a working version of the "broadcast" layout which fits up to the Canon XL family which is 1/3". There is now the Sony Z7 which uses the same 1/3" lens mount so there is now a greater potential sales volume for this mount style they perhaps should examine.

My personal preference is not to use zoom on NV but primes. There is a c-mount front module for the Astroscope. That gives you the choice of using C-Mount (not CS-Mount) CCTV security camera lenses, older C-mount TV and cine primes or via a C-Mount to Nikon adaptor the wider aperture Nikon 35mm still-camera primes. I think you may be able to get hold of a Nikon front mount module also.

Be mindful that with an equally mixed source of near-infrared and visible light, it is very hard to get sharp focus in due the mix of light wavelengths and different focal charateristics of near-infrared light.

Electrophysics Corp's "contact us" is :-

http://www.electrophysics.com/View/Viw_ContactUs.asp

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 13th, 2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems