35mm converters' differences - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:32 AM   #16
Regular Crew

JVC DT-V17L2D field monitor

David -no, haven't quite yet decided which monitor to go for, but I would say the JVC DT-V17L2D (DT-V17, DTV17L2D) 17inch multi-format LCD monitor with HD-SDI and audio de-embedding is looking the best at the moment, although it's priced around 1500+VAT -but the huge advantage being that it is powered by a standard AC connection and/or by 12--17V DC batteries (Anton Bauer, IDX or PAG) installed via bracket on the rear panel., meaning that it would be the perfect field monitor, using the same batteries as the camera....
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:13 AM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Fantastic Video Gigi (I also like the music on this video) - 16mm/35mm used or just the standard fujinon? Looks great all the same.
I'll take a look at the short film later today.
Thank you. Just stock lens Fujinon. I used a Pro35 with a betacamSP only on a commercial but I don't have it on my site. I am sorry but the short film is not on the site, there's only a little trailer. I can't post it yet because many festivals don't accept short films if they're already screened, even on the net. So for the complete short film I have to wait, I think, until november/december.
Gigi Tufano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:17 AM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parkes View Post
David -no, haven't quite yet decided which monitor to go for, but I would say the JVC DT-V17L2D (DT-V17, DTV17L2D) 17inch multi-format LCD monitor with HD-SDI and audio de-embedding is looking the best at the moment, although it's priced around 1500+VAT -but the huge advantage being that it is powered by a standard AC connection and/or by 12--17V DC batteries (Anton Bauer, IDX or PAG) installed via bracket on the rear panel., meaning that it would be the perfect field monitor, using the same batteries as the camera....
I am oriented to a CRT monitor, to use in studio, too.
When you get out shooting you have so much stuff that a CRT monitor doesn't scary me :D
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:34 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi Tufano View Post
I am oriented to a CRT monitor, to use in studio, too.
When you get out shooting you have so much stuff that a CRT monitor doesn't scary me :D
Really tough to wheel one of those about though - how the heck would you power one up in certain locations (noisy generator?). Also if you're doing a spot of 'guerilla' filming on city streets and want to get it over with quickly (thus hopefully preventing the wrath of city officials asking if you've paid the extortionate filming fees) the LCD's are a better option.

Gigi - thought it was the full short - now realised it's the trailer - v good also - fine jib work...shame there's no subtitles yet :)
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:43 AM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Really tough to wheel one of those about though - how the heck would you power one up in certain locations (noisy generator?). Also if you're doing a spot of 'guerilla' filming on city streets and want to get it over with quickly (thus hopefully preventing the wrath of city officials asking if you've paid the extortionate filming fees) the LCD's are a better option.

Gigi - thought it was the full short - now realised it's the trailer - v good also - fine jib work...shame there's no subtitles yet :)
oh, yes, I put it in a hurry, I will put a subtitled version soon, sorry (I have subtitles in english, french, italian and spanish, ready yet).

For the monitor, yes of course it will be not easy to take the CRT on field but when I am shooting shorts or music video I always have generator on set, so...
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I have been researching this for the last few weeks and have just found a source for a lens adapter that might just work.
Its a Nikon - 1/3" Adapter.
This is a straight adapter from Nikon - 1/3" No optics , mirrors , etc.
It just sets the lens at the correct Focal Depth.

Its also got a great price point, i am looking to order one and try it out and see what the results are.
So you don't even need an 35m adapter with this...
Max Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wilson View Post
I have been researching this for the last few weeks and have just found a source for a lens adapter that might just work.
Its a Nikon - 1/3" Adapter.
This is a straight adapter from Nikon - 1/3" No optics , mirrors , etc.
It just sets the lens at the correct Focal Depth.

Its also got a great price point, i am looking to order one and try it out and see what the results are.
So you don't even need an 35m adapter with this...
Hi Max,

I don't think this will generate the same images that the 35mm adapters we're talking about will. It is impossible to "shrink" the 35mm image that the Nikon lens generates to fit onto the 1/3" chip without optical elements.

I believe the adapter you may have found simply allows the Nikon lens to mount on the camera. The image generated will only cover a portion of what the lens is "seeing" since it's only capturing 1/3" squared area of the image.

To get an image on the sensor that has the same viewing angle as, say, a Nikon 100mm lens on a 35mm camera, you would need a much wider Nikon lens. This is the basic principle of small chip cameras which prevents a shallow depth of field.

- Sean
Sean Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #23
New Boot

maybe...

Hi,
maybe I come to a end point for the 35mm converter's question.
I think I won't buy anything for a year, I will rent them when necessary, and next year I will see for the RED SCARLET that will cost not so much, will have a 2/3' sensor and will have a shallow 16mm DOF.
What do you think? I am not so attached to JVC, I mean, it's a nice camera, I prefer it so much to my previous Canon XL1s but I am looking for something better and a 2/3' sensor will be the next step of course...and the Scarlet is annouced to be around 3k$. not bad.
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi Tufano View Post
Hi,
maybe I come to a end point for the 35mm converter's question.
I think I won't buy anything for a year, I will rent them when necessary, and next year I will see for the RED SCARLET that will cost not so much, will have a 2/3' sensor and will have a shallow 16mm DOF.
What do you think? I am not so attached to JVC, I mean, it's a nice camera, I prefer it so much to my previous Canon XL1s but I am looking for something better and a 2/3' sensor will be the next step of course...and the Scarlet is annouced to be around 3k$. not bad.
Yes 2/3" and 16mm are very similar frame sizes so you would be choosing about the same focal lengths for equivalent FOV.
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #25
Major Player

Good decision concerning the Scarlet. I have tried several 35mm adapters with the JVC including the best of the lot the P & S and just not convinced by spinning glass solutions. Does something very funny to the bokeh and ultimately you are stuck with the limitations of the sensor.

I am dreaming of Red.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #26
New Boot

Letus 35

Has anyone tried the Letus 35? The Extreme seems like a good product for the price. Lots of cool options offered.

Letus Adapters*::*LetusDirect

If you have one, How is it? Pros, Cons? How much did the entire package cost?

Thanks,
James
James Espy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems