Porta Brace CAM-C sling at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Porta Brace CAM-C sling

With the camera, I bought a PortaBrace CAM-C sling. Unfortunately, it has those little metal fastener clips at the ends and I only see two very small sling slots on the camera. Does anyone know of an adapter or a way to attach it? I've been all over the Porta Brace sight and can't find anything.

This camera is extremely cool.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'd also like to know what the options are for attaching a strap to this camera. I have no idea what kind of strap connects to the JVC's "slots," and that Portabrace strap appears to attach to big screws, which I assume from the picture are only on more pro-level cameras.
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Major Player

That is what I found out when I ordered the sling with the camera. It looks like there are two small, thin slots that I could perhaps attach a homemade adapter too, but it is not confidence inspiring.

What is everyone here using?
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hopefully someone will chime in, although I have a feeling that not many people are using straps with these cams. I seem to remember someone once mentioning in a post that the two slots were poorly positioned in terms of nicely balancing the weight on a strap.

Regardless, JVC put those slot connectors on there, and there must be some sort of standardized strap connector that fits them.

I use an Op/Tech strap for my Nikon, and it has fabric "loop" connectors that could certainly attach to the slots...but I don't think putting the JVC's weight on my still camera strap would be either safe or comfortable...
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Trustee

you can use a still camera strap. I found the factory supplied strap for my FP33 was perfect plus it has the snap clasps so I can take the strap off without removing the ends threaded thru the slots.... yes JVC should of went with the standard Sony strap studs and this would of been a lot more simple.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #6
New Boot

Portabrace Strap Suggestion

Hi Guys, My name is Chris and I actually work for Portabrace. I'm wondering if this is the strap that might work best for you:

http://www.portabrace.com/productB-HB-12DV+CAM

We know that it works with these JVC cameras and maybe a few more:

JVC GY-HD100E
JVC GY-HD100U
JVC GY-HD101
JVC GY-HD200
JVC GY-HD250
JVC GY-HD251

The link below will take you to a close-up picture of the strap connector. You'll see that it uses a clip and a "loop" of nylon strap that fits through the small strap slots on mini-dv cameras.

http://www.portabrace.com/assets/ima...dvcam-newa.jpg

Feel free to reply to this post with any questions or email me directly at chris@portabrace.com

Thanks for choosing Portabrace!

Chris
Chris Miceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

strap rings...

Hi guys,

I use a leather Portabrace strap on my camera. I have attached one of those split ring key rings through the tiny metal strap hanger on the front of the camera, and then clip the Portabrace strap to that. At the back of the camera I have a Hawkwood V Lok battery mount ; I have run a strip of ballistic nylon webbing through that, and put another split ring/key ring through the webbing for the rear mount. This works pretty well.

A minor, but irritating problem with the HD100/HD110-111 (I don;t know about the 200/250) is that the rear mounting point for a strap is too far forward. That's why I have slung mine from the Hawkwood bracket.

Just one point on that, though: You must make sure there are locking nuts on the lower battery bracket, and use loktite or something on the top bracket mounting points, otherwise the who system works loose under load.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Robert, could you be more specific about the split ring key ring your using? How do you get the thick CAM-C to clip into it?
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I did the same thing. I used heavy duty key rings, Sharpied them black, and use the leather Porta Brace straps from either my camera bag or other Porta Brace bags I have, as the camera strap
Paul Pelalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Jason, I just realised you are talking about a portabrace strap with the flat spring loaded clips that fit on the button sling mounts on a Sony broadcast camera - like the HD7 or the AP400. The portabrace strap I'm using on my HD111 is, exactly as Paul says, the strap from an old camera bag, with dog-lead clips at the ends. It's gonna be a little harder with the strap you have. But I suspect the principle of using ballistic nylon webbing and a key ring split ring is the way forward for you - plus maybe a power drill...
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Major Player

My JVC GY-DV500 had screw holes for studs, and I ended up buying sony studs for the broadcast standard straps (used for $25..) It is a nice system for quick on and off.
The ProHD's don't have this option. These narrow slots are designed for still or consumer cam style straps, not included. I used one from a jvc consumer camcorder that I'd never opened. Nice branding, even without the opportunity to do a little more portabrace profiling...

I'm very happy with this system "as manufacturer intended".
The spacing between mounts is narrow, and the lens is heavy, but I find it doesn't tilt on my shoulder. I carry it with the lens facing backward, and it tucks in well, and feels safe going through doors etc. The strap is closer to my body than the old system.

The strap is lightweight, but it's nylon webbing, that has way more strength than you need. The mounting system of loops and slip locks is also very tight and secure once adjusted. However it does not go on/off easily. I thought this would drive me nuts, but now I'm very happy with it on all the time. the strap gives me more general handling security, and on a tripod, It drapes smoothly on the right side towards the front of the handle over an xlr plug so it doesn't hang up the tape door.

In other words, strap lightness and compact mounting make keeping it on all the time workable. Truth is, on my old system I'd often forget to pull my strap out of the bag when rocking with camera alone. YMMV
Old July 12th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Major Player

What I ended up doing was taking the clip mounts off the sling, then running a short nilon backpack add on through the camera sling mounts, then looping the sling ends through that. It seems to work ok, though I wish the actual clips could be used.
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Miceli View Post
Hi Guys, My name is Chris and I actually work for Portabrace. I'm wondering if this is the strap that might work best for you:

http://www.portabrace.com/productB-HB-12DV+CAM

We know that it works with these JVC cameras and maybe a few more:

JVC GY-HD100E
JVC GY-HD100U
JVC GY-HD101
JVC GY-HD200
JVC GY-HD250
JVC GY-HD251

The link below will take you to a close-up picture of the strap connector. You'll see that it uses a clip and a "loop" of nylon strap that fits through the small strap slots on mini-dv cameras.

http://www.portabrace.com/assets/ima...dvcam-newa.jpg

Feel free to reply to this post with any questions or email me directly at chris@portabrace.com

Thanks for choosing Portabrace!

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to post here. It is great when the manufactures come in here and post info. I have been looking for a strap for my HD100 and what you posted is just perfect.

Thanks,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #14
New Boot

No Problem

My pleasure Daniel. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Chris
Chris Miceli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems