Getting 4:2:2 Color at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Getting 4:2:2 Color

understand that if you connect a recording device to the JVC GY-HD200's component connections, you can get 4:2:2 color out. Is this in 1080i or 720p? And if you did this, how do you get the highest quality audio out as well?

As always, thank you very much for all your help. My boss and I spent the day yesterday familiarizing me with the camera and I love it! The footage is so sharp it is almost surreal.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #2

the mic pre-amps on the HD series are not the best quality. i always use an external audio recorder for hi fidelity recordings. onboard audio is fine for interviews.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Interesting. What audio recorder do you use?
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Jason, for uncompressed see Brian Duke's Thread: "Can you shoot uncompressed". There are also some threads about location disk arrays, and about quality differences (see one of my threads).
On my last film-style shoot, I didn't use uncompressed HD-SDI because no such array was available at the location, and I regretted it immediately afterwards.

For audio, I fully agree with Bill. You can use a variety of devices, depending on what your channel needs are and whether you need to sync or not. I use a Sonosax boom preamp if it's only one channel. For multichannel, lots of audio guys like the 442 by Sound Devices. Others use Edirol, and there are a zillion other 2 to 4 channel mixers.

If you need six tracks or sync, the Fostex field recorder is a good choice as it also works as a mixer, plus you get a top notch sound on harddisk.

Because if you are going to all this cost and trouble with any mixer, sound guy, boom guy etc, why record to the camera and not to a high quality recorder, using a camera track just for sync ? And if you're in a studio, I would aboslutely record separately from the cam.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #5

I can't speak highly enough about the combination of a Sound Devices 302 mixer feeding a 7XX Series CF card recorder. I prefer a 702 or 702T. I sync the sound from the 702 with my JVC. Even musicians are impressed with the quality.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you for the tips and the suggestions. It isn't my camera, it is my managers, so all the decisions are not up to me. He said that I could use it though, and I'm trying to quickly learn what I can so that I can perhaps get to go on some of the business trips.

The only way to capture the better color out of a JVC HD-200u is through component, right? How come you can't do it from firewire? If you capture it from component, and you need to have audio out as well and you are not using an external recorder, how do you capture the audio? And another lame question, I'm assuming you capture this better color footage into a computer or hard disk attachment?

Thank you again for your tips and help.
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Major Player

jason, you can capture the audio simply by inserting a tape then log and sync with the clips from the harddiscs in post. i don't think your cam has TC out so matching and syncing is a bit labor intensive. just make sure you keep complete logs and/or use a clap with scene and take numbers, and clap the beginning of each take.
again, it won't be top-notch audio quality though.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems