"ClipWrap" m2t to Quicktime HDV wrapper NOW AVAILABLE! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 19th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #31
Wrangler

Thank you Mike.

I've changed the title of the thread to reflect that ClipWrap is now available.

Here's the press release with the neatly described features. (I like the part where it says "ClipWrap speaks m2t.")
Quote:
Divergent Media Releases ClipWrap – m2t to QuickTime conversion

Brooklyn, NY August 19, 2008 -- Divergent Media announced today the immediate availability of ClipWrap, a Macintosh application that batch converts m2t files to QuickTime HDV files for immediate editing.

About ClipWrap

HDV has quickly become the economical, flexible, high definition format of choice. The availability of disk-based cameras and third-party direct-to-disk recorders has only increased the format’s popularity. However, the primary recoding format of these devices, m2t transport streams, can’t be opened by the most popular video programs. ClipWrap is a Macintosh application that batch converts these m2t files into QuickTime movies that can be used in any QuickTime-based application, including Final Cut Pro.

"Before ClipWrap, if you received a clip in m2t format, there were a myriad of conversion tools available—each with signifiant drawbacks. Many of them were slow and left you with a clip which took up much more disk space than the original and a generation of image loss. Others work with only a single brand of cameras,” said Divergent Media CEO Mike Woodworth, “ClipWrap is the first solution which quickly converts any HDV m2t file to QuickTime with zero image degradation.”

ClipWrap quickly and easily “rewraps” your m2t files. The original video data of the camera-acquired clip remains intact—ClipWrap simply places this video data within a QuickTime container so it can be read natively in any QuickTime-compatible application. With ClipWrap, m2t files can immediately be converted for native HDV editing in Final Cut Pro. Because ClipWrap doesn't alter the video data in any way, there is zero image loss and the speed of conversion is as fast as a file copy.

ClipWrap Features:

-Rewraps - Doesn't Transcode
ClipWrap rewraps the video samples from your existing m2t files without re-encoding them. This means blazingly fast convert speeds and no image degradation.

-Automatic Format Detection
ClipWrap speaks m2t so you don't have to. It automatically parses the file's format and chooses the proper output format, so there's no hassle trying to determine the proper settings (frame rate, image size, gamma levels, etc).

-Full Timecode Support
Timecode is recreated in the new QuickTime movie, so you can recapture from tape later if necessary.

-Supports all m2t formats
Now you're not limited to specific HDV cameras, you can rest assured your m2t files will be compatible with FCP when it comes time to edit.

-Automatically recombines spanned files
If your direct to disk recorder splits files every 4GB, ClipWrap automatically detects these spanned clips and will recombine them into a single seamless QuickTime movie.

Pricing

ClipWrap is available immediately for the suggested retail price of $49.95. A limited trial can be downloaded from www.clipwrap.com. ClipWrap can be purchased for instant download at www.clipwrap.com/store/

About Divergent Media

Divergent Media is based in Brooklyn, New York that focuses on providing flexible tools for video production and post-production.

ClipWrap is a trademark of Divergent Media. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

For more information on ClipWrap visit www.clipwrap.com.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #32
Major Player

I tried the demo and it works as advertised. Very quick and snappy on my Macbook Pro.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #33
Trustee

I tried it and it doesnt work on my i-mac system, it is just like the sony plug in for final cut studio 2. I can see all the files on the CF drive but they dont appear in the import window.

I am on osx 10.5.4 and all the material was shot 1080i 50i

When I try to drag and drop the m2t files they will not go from the CF folder into the clipwrap window
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #34
Major Player

Hi Gary.

I've also got an iMac running OS 10.5.4 and I was able to load a batch of files (720p24) into ClipWrap, using drag and drop.

But mine were from an external hard drive. Maybe try copying them from your CF drive onto a hard drive first and then see if you have better luck. (Or select Command O on ClipWrap and try loading them from the CF drive that way?)
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #35
Trustee

Thanks for your suggestions David, I tried copying to the desktop and they still will not work, I also tried opening with cmd O and the files will not go over that way either.

When I drag an m2t file into the clipwrap box it just bounces back to the original folder.

I am using a Z7 camera and as said have already had problems with the sony plug in not working with FCP, the files all work fine when imported into AVID media composer 3.0 which is also running on my macbook pro and i-mac systems.

I am running final cut studio 2 6.0.4
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #36
Major Player

Well then, this sounds like a job for Mike!

My only other thought would be if you are using the trial mode. If so, I believe it will only convert clips of 60 seconds or less. If you do have trial mode, perhaps try capturing a few forty-five second clips (if you've got the camera with you!) and see if they'll load up.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #37
Trustee

First clip on the CF is bars and tone for 15 secs so I dont think the 1 min thing is the problem.
This must be an apple problem as I can drag the files from the CF to the desktop and they copy, but I cannot drag them into the clipwrap window or into the final cut log and transfer window.

Once the file is copied onto the desktop I still cant drop it into the clipwrap window.
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #38
Trustee

BINGO just sussed what the problem is:

/Volumes/VIDEO/VIDEO/HVR/02_0058_2008-08-17_143150.M2T

The above file will not work

/Users/garynattrass/Desktop/02_0058_2008-08-17_143150.m2t

This one will.

I changed the .m2t to lower case!!!

Now why is my CF unit recording with upper case file ext's
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #39
Trustee

WOW just got an e-mail from Mike to say that he has fixed the upper case problem already, now that is very impressive software development and has just about made the sony plug in for fcp obsolete for me.
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #40
New Boot

Hi Mike/Tim...

Been having a lot of problems with 720p24 from an hd101e lately... You seem to have the solution to my problems :)

My questions:

1. Will clipwrap ever be able to handle scene breaks in a continuous m2t file to export as separate clips?

2. Will FCP read 720p24 files' TC as :00 to :23 OR :00 to :29?

3. Can any of you bother with providing the following information for me? For tape based footage, what is your suggested workflow now that clipwrap is available... (720p24) from which program to use for capture, down to to FCP's sequence/and other settings... (using FCP for editing)? I do have premiere available...

Warm Regards,

Nick Papadopoulos
Nick Papadopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #41
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papadopoulos View Post
1. Will clipwrap ever be able to handle scene breaks in a continuous m2t file to export as separate clips?
Possibly. This is on my personal wishlist for future updates or possibly another app but it is really a question best answered by Mike.
Currently ClipWrap will maintain the video of a broken mpeg2 stream just as it is in its m2t form but continues the TC read from before the first data break. If you use REGEN TC then the timecode will likely continue to be fairly accurate over start/stop breaks.

Quote:
2. Will FCP read 720p24 files' TC as :00 to :23 OR :00 to :29?
FCP will see "ClipWrapped" quicktimes as 24fps NDF TC (:00 to :23.)
If you prefer to switch to 30fps NDF TC for the purposes of batch capturing from FCP then you can easily do that in FCP.

Quote:
3. ...For tape based footage, what is your suggested workflow now that clipwrap is available... (720p24) from which program to use for capture, down to to FCP's sequence/and other settings... (using FCP for editing)? I do have premiere available...
If you are solely tape-based (and maintaining clean heads and using ProHD stock) then first simply try logging and capturing using FCP's Log & Capture tool in HDV or ProRes422 mode. If this works for you then great. If FCP is abnormally breaking takes then you need to use a m2t capture tool with ClipWrap.

There are many ways to capture a m2t from an HDV camera:
Hard drive capture systems: Focus Enhancements FS4, FS5, DR-HD100, nNovia hard drives, Convergent Design XDR, etc.
Software only capture tools like DVHSCap (found in Apple Firewire SDK), HDVxDV or DM's Scopebox (incidentally Scopebox 2 can capture directly into HDV Quicktime.)
PC based NLE's like Adobe Premiere CS3, Vegas, etc.
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #42
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
I changed the .m2t to lower case!!!

Now why is my CF unit recording with upper case file ext's
I'm glad you spent the time and figured this out. It is always the simple things that get overlooked!
During the beta testing I had reported (buried somewhere in my notes) that I couldn't drag-and-drop Z7 files but didn't spend enough time on it to figure out it was just the upper-case issue. I was too concerned with ProHD material to bother with what I figured was a Sony meta-data discrepancy.

Awesome!
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #43
Trustee

As you say Tim Awesome and I got a beta version to test tonight and it works just great.

Being a lazy tester I even just dragged the mounted disk into the clipwrap and it saw all the file fine so it is a perfect solution to using the CF from the Z7.

I have an express card reader that I got from china for $20 and I can now ingest CF files very quickly.
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM   #44
Regular Crew

So what is the solution for M2T files containing time code breaks?
David Allen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM   #45
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Smith View Post
So what is the solution for MT2 files containing time code breaks?
You can use MpegStreamclip to manually trim and re-export pieces of a m2t but that would be very time-consuming if you captured a whole tape with multiple start/stop breaks.

Ideally it is best to capture each take separately. You will save yourself time in the long run.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems