cool and warm scene settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Tourist

cool and warm scene settings

Gday,

I have to shoot 2 different scenes that will depict a family looking cold, and then the same family looking hot and warm.

Unfortunately the director has no time for post prod colour adjustments??? ( dont ask why) and has requested the 2 different looks straight from the camera.

Without doing the obvious white balance adjustments for the shoot does anyone have any good scene settings for the 251 that will help out.

cheers

Gavin
Gavin Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Trustee

There is a sticky by Tim Dashood with the thread title "HD200 Series Scene File Recipes". Why don't you check out the recipes there.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Tourist

thanx mate, I had problems downloading his recipes for the 200. (any ideas?)
Ive already got his 100 series scene settings, but nothing really suits as yet.
Old August 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Trustee

Have you tried white balancing to a light blue card? they call this warm cards.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Tourist

Im aware of the white balance variations that can be used but I wanted to get more of a subtle look, rather than going too blue or orange.
As it turns out the shoot is tomorrow morning and the job was sprung on me last minute. I havent had much success with finding settings tonight, so Ill convince the director to adjust the shots in post. cheers anyway mate.
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Wrangler

There are also warming and cooling filters that can be placed in front of the lens if you have time to obtain them locally before your shoot.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Johns View Post
thanx mate, I had problems downloading his recipes for the 200. (any ideas?)
Ive already got his 100 series scene settings, but nothing really suits as yet.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...cene_files.pdf

The above link should point you directly to the pdf attachment.

The best approach to manually warming or cooling the image when you don't have DSC's warm/cool cards is to manually adjust the WHITE PAINT control in the camera.

The first step is to pull an AWB from a standard white card (because White Paint won't work with 3200K or 5600K presets.)
Then go into the CAMERA PROCESS menu and go to ADVANCED and find WHITE BALANCE sub-menu.
Enter White paint values for red (R) and blue (B) to shift the white balance around. The R & B act somewhat like x,y coordinates when you watch on a vectorscope. If you want to shift the white balance towards skin tone then increase R and decrease B (start out with equivalent values.) You will see everything shift to the upper left on a vectorscope (along the I line,) hence warming the image. If you want to cool the image then decrease R and increase B.

You could also play with the matrix controls to manually place RGB response but White Paint is usually sufficient.
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

And.... That's why you're the man, Tim!
Edward Tomecko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems