Audio Buzz frp, DR-HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Tourist

Audio Buzz frp, DR-HD100

Has anyone figured this problem out? Saw old posts - We have been shooting with the DR-HD100 for a year now - 100s of hours and no problem until two weeks ago - We always shoot tape and capture to disk at the same time. When I brought the media from the disk into FCP Studio 2 I had the horrible noise like an electronic warble under water plus a high pitched hum. Recaptured to hard drive from tape (to avoid the continues breaks created by the JVC100UA) and again had the noise. Went from Tape - clean as a whistle. Tried replacing firewire cable with drive, same noise from the tape. Tried going from Firestore battery instead of tap to camera battery, still had the noise. Tried from a different tape we knew was clean - NO Noise!!!! Baffled. Any info would be appreciated. Afraid to use the drive now.
Rhea Gavry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've noticed the high frequency hum after a while using the DR HD, do you use it close to the camera like on the Anton Bauer mount? I haven't figured out what it is exaclty seems like it may be the frequency from the drive spinning...
Jamon Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 06:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, its is a serious problem and it appears to be an issue with recording to quicktime files only. It is not present on the other hdv format. It is a kind of high pitched digital chirruping noise. It is definitely an issue with the drive itself so don't go mad trying all sorts of alternatives eg different microphones etc I have already been down been down that path.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just discovered this problem for myself! Any remedies out there?
John-Paul Bonadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Major Player

I have used two units now and they both have the same problem recording QT files - unusable sound.

I do not believe that there is any solution. JVC tried to fix the problem here and was not successful. I opted to return the unit.

Regards,

Rob
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick reply. Wow, that is rather unfortunate and mind-boggling as to how this problem could be 'allowed'. Can anyone else shed some light on this issue? How easy is it (and time-consuming) to convert files from m2t to mov? (assuming this fixes the problem!)
John-Paul Bonadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Major Player

The whole point of buying the unit for me was to be able easily to transfer files across. Because Quicktime is essentially unusable the unit lost a lot of its appeal.

You can use Mpeg Stream clip to convert files but then why not simply digitise from the tapes?

Rob
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #8
Major Player

It's a lot easier than you think to convert the files. Here's a link from the Sticky column: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-h...available.html

Tim Dashwood and others have had excellent results with this product.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM   #9
New Boot

I have the same problem.

Audio in QT HDV on DR-HD100 has annoying high frequency tone/buzz/noise in it.

Did'nt hear it on the headphones while shooting. It's not on tape, and not in M2T's.

My specs: GY-HD201E, HDV25P, DR-HD100 with firmware 3.0. I'm using different kind of mics and setups (mixer, phantom powered, sennheiser lav mic), but doesn't matter.

I've shot many hours and only found out the problem this night. Since we backup to double harddrives, we re-use the same tapes, just in case the main drive fails. We checked if all files played back well, but used a laptop with not so good speakers. Now we discovered the problem en are stuck with many QT's with bad audio (and no tape backup).

My suggestion is to put a sticky on the board, warning people not to use the DR-HD100 in QT mode while shooting HDV (or at least check if their unit has the same problem)

All be warned.
Alex Pitstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #10
Major Player

My GOLDEN RULE for audio

For any material that goes into release, the audio is recorded on independent device !

Fully independent, not even battery tap !

And the embedded track used just for sync purposes.

I use the embedded audio on DR-HD100 only with test or "trash" shoots or scouting. Have been wondering why sound is particularly lousy on the DR-HD100 until I read a recent post in another thread here.

BTW - my golden rule was set up many years ago after audio hum with a faulty Sony broadcast camcorder. It can happen with any camcorder.

Independent recorders need not be costly or large: see Edirol or similar. But we mostly use field audio equipment with TC sync like Fostex.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems