HD100 and non-HD external monitor: help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Major Player

HD100 and non-HD external monitor: help!

Hi All,

I've been rooting around on these forums for around 3 months now, first time posting =)

i just shot my first wedding using my nice new PRETTY HD100U, and will be doing post on my older iMac and FCS2 HD. I bought a used Sony Trinitron production monitor for color correction and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get a signal to it thru my camera. I have tried just about every configuration of HDV and SD in both the cam and FCS2, but still no picture on the monitor. I can access the cam menu on the monitor, so I know I'm getting signal. The monitor doesn't have rca in; only s-video and bnc. I'm connecting the cam and the monitor as composite with an s-video:rca adaptor. Where's my problem, and how do I fix it? Also, please let me know if more details are needed about specific cam or fcp settings.

Thanks for helping!!!

Chris

Last edited by Christopher Glavan; September 3rd, 2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: clarity
Christopher Glavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

First you have to make sure FCP has external video on. Second you have to remember that FCP does not put out a live HDV signal. HDV has to be rendered before it can go to tape. The best you can get is a still frame when you stop the timeline. That will work for color correction but there are ways to monitor a live signal. You work on a sequence set to ProRes and get a live SD output you can watch thru the camera. The quality depends on your computer but it works.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Major Player

OR have your computer plugged into a 2nd computer monitor or HDTV via vga/ or mini vga and tell FCP to display raw to cinema display. Then you have a nice cheap fairly color accurate full rez HD monitor. But yes, if you are going to tape....you need to render first.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the direction guys. Got it figured out!
Christopher Glavan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems