JVC GY-HD111E pal. Is this a good buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC GY-HD111E pal. Is this a good buy?

My eternal search for a new camera has brought me to the GY-HD111E. Selling in Aust for around $7700.
Are there any comments about this camera that I should be aware off?
Is this a good buy or is there another JVC model around this price doing 1920x1080p ?.

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

For Australia that's about Au$1,000 too much for 111E. You could buy the 201EB for that and I think the ability to shoot 720p 50 and 1080i along with other improvements would be well worth the extra.

Check JVC special pricing here;
JVC Professional Products Australia : Welcome

or Provisual Online

or Lemac in Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney. Welcome to LEMAC
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #3
Tourist

As New | JVC HD111e (PAL)

Hi Nick, If you are in interested I have a as new JVC HD111E (PAL) with only 28 head hours. It has a v-mount pro battery system and includes:- CVP100 battery mounting plate, two 14.8V 10Ah/150Wh Li-Ion batteries, two-channel simultaneous v-mount charger/adaptor, pro soft camera bag, Tiffen 72mm UV filter, v-mount (T-Shape) hot swap adaptor (allows for two batteries on-camera at once), camera base plate adaptor, Sold by JVC Australia corporate and fully serviced and checked by authorised JVC agent. I am an independent producer and I bought it 12 months ago for a project that did not get green-lit hence it was only used for test shots and half of the head hours were for playback only. Like I say as new because it has just been sitting in the bag for the past six months. If you are in the market it will be well below new replacement cost. Cheers john
John Petricevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 04:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks John,
Maybe the 201EB is more suited for me.

I'm confused about the 720p/50 vs 1080i/50 in the 201EB.
I'm currently using a Sony Z1 Pal.
I have read that 720p has about the same resoultion as 1080i. Is this true.

Theses different format I dont have a understanding of. Can someone direct me to some info.

Nick
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM   #5
Trustee

Nick,

the overcrank feature in the 2xx series is worth the extra amount. the 1xx series only does overcrank in SD.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Stone View Post
I have read that 720p has about the same resoultion as 1080i. Is this true.
If you would look at 1080i on a HD CRT screen it would, good luck finding one.
Looking at 1080i on an LCD or plasma, it will be inferior to 720p as it will be deinterlaced for the screen first.

And that's just with normal speed and no effects. Slowing down 720p will hold full resolution and has double framerate to work with. 1080i will be deinterlaced by your NLE for slowing down, delivering half resolution and half framrate.

720p50 holds 46 080 000 pixels/second
1080i50 hold only 38 880 000 pixels/second

Even disregarding that, interlaced is old technology, you can only decently whatch it on interlaced screens (what it is designed for, and rather smartly, I have to admit). These days, with only progressive screens, it has only disadvantages. E.g. it softens details in high contrast, because otherwise it wouldn't be watchable due to interlace flickering, bringing resolution down. Besides, just look at the specs of all pro camcorders: low end does 1080i only (Sony Z5, Z7, S270, consumer...), higher end does 720p (Sony XDCAM, Panasonic HPX series, Panasonic Varicam, JVC series (soon to be XDCAM as well), ...)
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have just scored a new client and they have shown me past work done by the last film production. I have to say that their work is better than mine but for some reason they have chosen me for the next batch. The Z1 is not up for the task at hand. What’s the next camera to get. I can see clearly that they have used and shot with a progressive camera and the images look to be from a 2/3” camera but I’m not absolutely certain.
Lets just say I went with the Jvc 201 it's still a 1/3 chip camera just as the Z1. So what would I gain for me doing this? The 502 Panny is the way for this client but this is way over my head financial.
Can the JVC at 1/3” chip get me closer than the Z1?

Nick
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Yep, a lot. If you can take the time for your shots and in post and you can light your set, I would even say you won't see a difference between the JVC and the Panny, except for focal depth of 2/3 inch.

The 201 is a big step up from the Z1, as it should be, because your looking at a completely different pricetags JVC+batteries+charger vs Sony Z1 (that has a battery and charger included).

If you have the cash you might want to go GY-HD251, that way you can attach the flash XDR/EliteHD and jump to a completely new level.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems