JVC GY- HD 201EB Pal. Info required at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 10th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Trustee

JVC GY- HD 201EB Pal. Info required

I still keep getting drawn back to the JVC range and this particular model; JVC GY- HD 201EB Pal version.
I’m looking to upgrade and the comparison is from my old Z1.

I would like some tech questions answered if possible?
Does this camera have a steady shoot function like the Z1.
What's it’s lux reading, or how would this compare to the Z1 in low light.
The Z1 has 3 x 1/3" 1080i Super HAD CCDs (16:9) and the JVC has has 1/3" inch interline-transfer CCDs. What is the difference in image quality.
And the LCD screen any info on this.

Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
I still keep getting drawn back to the JVC range and this particular model; JVC GY- HD 201EB Pal version.
I’m looking to upgrade and the comparison is from my old Z1.

I would like some tech questions answered if possible?
Does this camera have a steady shoot function like the Z1.
What's it’s lux reading, or how would this compare to the Z1 in low light.
The Z1 has 3 x 1/3" 1080i Super HAD CCDs (16:9) and the JVC has has 1/3" inch interline-transfer CCDs. What is the difference in image quality.
And the LCD screen any info on this.

Simon
I shoot with the HD100 and a Z1 as well as an EX1.

The JVC cameras do not have a steady shot function. They perform as a traditional ENG camera would. Removable lens without autofocus.
The Z1 is much better in low light. A progressive camera requires more light than an interlaced camera will. The Z1 sensor is actually 1440x1080. The JVC is a full 1280x720 image. Both camera produce very good images. You have better lens options on the JVC, though this makes the camera more expensive. The other difference is in their operation.

One is a handheld camera, the other a shoulder mount camera.

The Z1 will give you more of a "video" look, though you can adjust the image in the camera or post. The HD200 will shoot at 720p60 which is wonderful for slo mo work.

I like both cameras but for different uses. If I am doing doc style work the Z1 (or even better the EX1) is the camera to use. If you are doing production style work, then the JVC is better. This is my own opinion of course. To each his own.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
I shoot with the HD100 and a Z1 as well as an EX1.

The JVC cameras do not have a steady shot function. They perform as a traditional ENG camera would. Removable lens without autofocus.
The Z1 is much better in low light. A progressive camera requires more light than an interlaced camera will. The Z1 sensor is actually 1440x1080. The JVC is a full 1280x720 image. Both camera produce very good images. You have better lens options on the JVC, though this makes the camera more expensive. The other difference is in their operation.

One is a handheld camera, the other a shoulder mount camera.

The Z1 will give you more of a "video" look, though you can adjust the image in the camera or post. The HD200 will shoot at 720p60 which is wonderful for slo mo work.

I like both cameras but for different uses. If I am doing doc style work the Z1 (or even better the EX1) is the camera to use. If you are doing production style work, then the JVC is better. This is my own opinion of course. To each his own.

Daniel Weber
I would like to chip in and say the Sony's look like toys compared to the JVC. I bought the 13x Fujinon wide angle lens for mine which is amazing for low light but makes it much more expensive while worth every bit.
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks guys,
Dennis what setting do you shoot with? SD,HD progressive or interlaced? I would like some more info on your work flow with this camera if that's cool.

Simon
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks guys,
Dennis what setting do you shoot with? SD,HD progressive or interlaced? I would like some more info on your work flow with this camera if that's cool.

Simon
Hi Simon,
I only shoot HD Progressive. I use FCP, edit HDV and down convert in the timeline. Great results.
My work is mainly TV commercials and corporate videos so it is important that I have a pro looking rig. I just dont feel I could turn up witha toy looking Sony for a client that is paying me $5000 or so for a commercial.
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Simon, if you are serious about the JVC 2xx series, check out the link to the previews of Tim Dashwood's DVD on the JVC HD cameras. I own 2 HD200's (the North American version) and I LOVE them.

DV Info Net -- The Complete Guide to JVC ProHD Training DVD by Tim Dashwood

Pros:
Progressive
Camera design that we broadcast pro's can pick up and navigate nearly instantly
Interchangeable lenses from industry standard manufacturers
Beautiful imagery with pro level control through advanced menu
I can get a REAL rack focus out of it
Focus ring is connected to the lens elements, not a servo

Cons:
Light pig!
Firewire chip issues (make SURE both camera and computer are OFF before plugging/unplugging)
Full manual lens (IF you've never used a pro lens before - personally I prefer "real" lenses)
Included on camera mic is a joke
Kit lens leaves a lot to be desired but IMHO STILL looks better than the mid range Sony's.

I've used the Z1U extensively and when it first came out, I was a fan of the features at the pricepoint but hated the lens, audio and iris controls. The JVC was a no-brainer for me.

All that said, make sure you are ready for a "pro" styled camera with no image stabilization and no auto focus. There are a lot of 200's for sale on here because people bought them and then realized that they weren't ready to make the transition to a more manual camera setup. Be honest with yourself before parting with your money.
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Trustee

I might get a test drive of a JVC soon and do a comparison between the Z1 and JVC.

The thing with the JVC without even trying it is: low light, and camera shake. I do a lot of handheld work with the Z1 and its steady shot saves me a lot and also shooting in dark offices etc...
I dont use auto focus so this is no problem for me.

Cheers
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
I might get a test drive of a JVC soon and do a comparison between the Z1 and JVC.

The thing with the JVC without even trying it is: low light, and camera shake. I do a lot of handheld work with the Z1 and its steady shot saves me a lot and also shooting in dark offices etc...

Cheers
Yes but Simon,
The JVC is shoulder mount. You wont notice the lack of IS. I admit that I dont shoot anything without lights. Call me if you want to chat. My number is on my web site.
Video Production - Internet Video
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:

Cheers
I purchased a rail kit with a shoulder mount and handles. I found it really useful for hand held shooting. It is a different style than shooting with the Z1.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #10
Trustee

I use a CB 150, Shoulder mount thingy with the Z1 and it really helps to stabilize the camera but what a pain to get on and off. I use lights when I can in but in uncontrolled situations like weddings ( I try to avoid weddings for this reason) you need all the light one can have, I know I’m stating the obvious.
Does JVC make a 2/3” chip?
Under / over cranking is this @ full resolution?

Thanks Dennis,
Have looked at your work, results look good

Last edited by Simon Denny; October 10th, 2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to add.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems