HD-100 and wireless mic question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Major Player

HD-100 and wireless mic question

I'm setting up a wireless mic on the HD100U. Unfortunately I don't have the new mic in here ...so I am using a different wireless system. It has a lapel mic. The receiver only has squelch and volume dials labeled min. and max...no number settings for levels.

I have the CH2 input switch set to 1.
The audio input switch set to mic.
The audio select switch set to manual for both 1 and 2.
Monitor select switch set to both.
Audio level manual dials on the side of the camera...what should these be set at? Right now at 7.

In the menu ....
wind mic cut to both
audio ref. level set to 20 db
Input 1 and input 2 mic ref. set to 50 db
Audio monitor set to stereo
Audio mode set to 48k

This particular wireless is connected to input 1 with an xlr cable which is connected to an xlr adapter, then to a cable that is connected to the back of the wireless receiver where it says "line".

I can see the audio level indicators on the camera lcd screen moving when speaking into the wireless lapel mic.

My question is how to set the levels correctly especially since the wireless receiver only has a squelch and volume buttons and no indicators for levels. I need audio to be at -8 db.

If someone can give me some pointers it will help greatly. I have an interview to shoot on Friday with 8db audio and want to make sure I set it correctly so I don't get hiss or levels that are too low. I'm not an audio person that's for sure and don't want to set things incorrectly and mess up this shoot. I have headphones but hearing some hiss. Not sure if it is because the audio level is too high on the receiver, or camera settings.

And... to turn up the audio to get it at the -8db level, do I turn it up at the camera with the dials on the side or do I adjust the volume level on the receiver?

Hopefully someone using HD100U can give me some guidance.

Thank you,
Lisa

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems