HD100 captures in SD but not HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 26th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD100 captures in SD but not HDV

I have a HD100U camera that will capture sd footage, but when I try to capture HDV footage, the OS or NLE will not recognize it. I am hoping to determine if this is a settings issue (I have all settings and switches to HDV) or do I have the infamous blown firewire port? I wouldn't think it is blown because I can capture SD footage via the firewire.

Thanks
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Just to be clear, is the footage shot in HDV? That is, the SD you captured was shot in SD and when you shoot in HDV the cam is not detected?

What NLE are you using?
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Neither the OS or NLE will recognize the HDV setting in the same way as the DV. Windows won't make the beep your used to when you hook up the camera and there won't be a little icon in the menu tray. The editor may require you to use a different capture utility. I use Vegas and I have to use a different capture window than when I'm capturing dv footage.

What NLE your using?
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The footage was shot in HDV. When I switch to DV and put an in a tape I shot in DV it will capture, however when I do the same for HDV it will not.

I am using Premiere CS3, however I also tried to capture with HDV split, and it still would not recognize the camera in HDV.
Old October 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Shut the camera and program down before switching to HDV, turn it back on and relaunch your programs. Sometimes there's a communication error between the camera and computer. It happened to me once when doing the exact same switch between DV and HDV..
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, it did not seem to work for me, and I had to return the camera back to school. The image the camera produces excellent, it is disappointing that capturing the footage via the camera seems to be a real hassle for many users.
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Joe, just curious, what format are you shooting on the camera? The switch on the side is only deciding the firewire output, not the actual format (correct me if I'm wrong!). You can shoot both HD and SD in HDV (oddly enough) as well as normal SD in DV mode.

When you play back the tape in the camera, what does it read in the top, left corner? You may have to hit the menu button a few times to bring up the right display settings if you don't see anything.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems