Question about focus accuracy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Question about focus accuracy

If the back focus is set correctly, and you go outside and focus it on a fence (not zoomed in) at about 1500 yards away, and then zoom into it, will it stay in focus?

I'm not sure If I'm asking this correctly, but I think that is enough info.

Thank you again for your help.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Do it the OTHER way around: zoom into the fence, set focus and pull out and it will STILL be in focus, assuming back focus is set properly. At the wide end of the lens, the depth of field is greater (depending on iris, possible infinite). However, at the telephoto end, depth of field is MUCH narrower.

We call this presetting the focus.
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Major Player

It does seem to stay in focus if I do that. Hmm. So perhaps it isn't really in focus when I'm not zoomed in and then zoom forward. I just notice it then.

Hmm.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McCormy View Post
It does seem to stay in focus if I do that. Hmm. So perhaps it isn't really in focus when I'm not zoomed in and then zoom forward. I just notice it then.

Hmm.
Remember, you are setting the distance from the object to be in focus to the lens when you "focus" the lens. Depth of field is your friend in terms of keeping stuff visibly in focus when focal distance isn't set accurately, but as your depth of field becomes more shallow your ACTUAL point of focus becomes more pronounced.

For example, in full wide an object at 100' distance appears to be in focus, even though the lens distance indicates you are focused at 10'. Zoom in to the object 100' away and it's out of focus. Why? Because you are STILL focused at 10' Making sense?
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Backfocus

I am never really sure if backfocus is totally ok on my standard lens.
i don't seem to find the point where BOTH extremes in focal length are TOTALLY in focus, using either SD monitor or HD monitor or beamer (and a tape measure).
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Mangold View Post
I am never really sure if backfocus is totally ok on my standard lens.
i don't seem to find the point where BOTH extremes in focal length are TOTALLY in focus, using either SD monitor or HD monitor or beamer (and a tape measure).
I find the same thing Claude. Compared to the 2/3" Fuji lenses I've used on Betacams, I find the stock 16x soft in wide angle, no matter HOW much fussing I've done with backfocus (and yes, I do own a TRUE high def monitor for field adjustments).
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Which keeps me dreaming of a nice fully manual high quality zoom. the question has been much discussed here, but still no real anwer other than the vy expensive optional fuji lenses.
most of my film work is done with 35mm adapters and cineprimes, but i like to use this cam myself for spontaneous clips and for scouting and for the odd documentary situation. the standard lens is ok for that but something nice and not too expensive would be great.
i believe canon has an all-manual zoom around $3k for their hdv cameras.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems