Any idea how JVC 100/200s have been sold? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Trustee

Any idea how JVC 100/200s have been sold?

Also, does any one know how much long JVC plans on continuing the line? I'd like to keep my camera - despite all the problems with editing mt2 files - but only if JVC going to keep the brand viable for a while.

Thanks for any info,

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Trustee

I can't answer the question directly.

However, the new JVC prototype small HDV camera I saw in Burbank two weeks ago is planned to shoot all the JVC HDV formats, plus 1080i.

I was told a year ago or so by JVC reps that the goal was to come out with a version of the HD110/200/250 that shoots 1080p.

I think the JVC ProHD cameras will be around for the reasonable future at minimum.

The removable lens and the new expensive lenses suggest that newer models will at least have some cross compatibility with current models.

I especially am looking forward to the new small ProHD camera (about half to two-thirds the size of a Canon XH-A1). I am working on a web series using an HD110 and a Canon XH-A1. But the new JVC, with the formats that will match what I am using as a final version (720p, 24) is a perfect match to the HD110. We are shooting in studio (both jib and tripod mounted as well as hand (shoulder) mounted) and we are shooting on "borrowed" locations in low profile mode.

The hd110 works in studio and shoulder/hand-held, and the Canon XH-A1 is used low-profile in the wild and on a Merlin.

The new JVC (with CCDs, not CMOS) will be even more low profile and even better on the Merlin... and of course the formats will match perfectly with the HD110.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Trustee

well anyone who does know for sure is under NDA

anyone saying elsewise is simply speculating.

normally new cameras come out at NAB time, or at least shown as prototype / preproduction units with ship dates announced.

even if JVC does come out with new cams this year, so what. your camera will continue to work just fine, so don't worry about it unless your plan was to try to sell your current cam for a trade up. even if they do announce new cams, its often 3-6 months before they ship.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
normally new cameras come out at NAB time, or at least shown as prototype / preproduction units with ship dates announced.
The JVC man from New Jersey that was at the Burbank show said to look for the new small camera, the one they had in mock-up in the glass case, at NAB next year.
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Even if JVC discontinued the line tomorrow why get rid of it?

If it's still producing excellent pictures and the format isn't redundant within your field of work I'd see no valid reason to get rid of any tool...unless clients are specifying otherwise.

Don't get caught up in the 'must have the latest model' frenzy! unless your company is filthy rich and has nothing better to do with it's cash!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

This Stuart totally agrees with Stuart C. "Don't get caught up in the:
"must have the latest model' frenzy!"
That's one one well managed scam that's hopefully copped the World financial crisis bucket of icy water .... and thank God - who needed it?

How many JVC 100/200s have been sold? Will they be out of date tomorrow? I doubt it John, JVC is receiving all the praise ... and the orders too, look what Raycom is up to, this news broke this week:

News: Raycom Accelerates Adoption to HD News with JVC Cameras : News & Press Releases

My guess is that there will be plenty more going down this path. JVC have really won serious admiration for the way they are listening and providing what we need. Their pals Sony had better look out.
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks guys. I like the 100, but the poor low light ability plus absolutely nightmare experiences trying to cut a full length feature with it has made interested in buying something else...

That said, I'm happy I bought it - it certainly has been a leap above the XL-1 & 16mm film I was using.

The Mark II is so interesting....

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
Thanks guys. I like the 100, but the poor low light ability plus absolutely nightmare experiences trying to cut a full length feature with it has made interested in buying something else...

john
What problems in cutting your feature? Did you use an IC?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Yes, I would also be interested in more info on this.
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Major Player

I love the camera to death, but that low light issue killed me during elections. so I am looking to trade up as well. plus I am getting lots of requests for full hd, so I think the ex3 and nano flash is going to be the next setup. I will miss the lens, and the bigger size, but I think I will grow to love the small size of the ex3 pretty quick.

I havent ever had issues editing with it though, i am interested in hearing about that as well.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Major Player

count me in as an HD100 owner who is satisfied but upgrading to a Sony Ex1
for the low light and other odd things that have happened on set. I can't
make excuses for my clients and expect to keep them can i?
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
The film, THE SIXTH EXTINCTION (think DRACULA meets NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD with the heart in the right place) was shot on jvc100.

Digitized into Vegas, then using Cineform transcoded for Premiere. Many many problems, some causing weeks of delays. Particularly at the start - which was like a year and a half ago.

It's working now (knock wood) and we're almost ready to "print" to blu-ray, but man has it been a battle.

Thanks for the Raycom post - very interesting.

Shooting a horror film with a camera that's not great in low light was certainly a challenge, but the vast majority of the footage looks excellent.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems