720p60 and Premiere Pro CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #1
New Boot

720p60 and Premiere Pro CS3

I have the JVC HD200 and I shoot in 720p60. When editing in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, I can't find a capture preset for 720p60.

Is anyone here using the HD200 in that format with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3? If so, what capture template are you using?

Thanks.
Miles Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Miles

I use Premiere Pro CS3 and have edited 720p60 footage for a slow motion effect in a music video -and it worked very well . The best way is to first shoot direct to harddrive (DR-100 HDD) and then you can directly import the 720p60 footage.

It depends on why you have shot at this higher frame rate. If it is because you are logically wanting to achieve a slow motion effect that you can simply select your target frame rate in the new project settings window (in my case it was 25p -being in PAL land) and then once open, in the project itself, right click on the clip and select 'interpret footage' to change the frame rate -effectively slowing the footage down about 40% in this case, which was great for our music video, which had been shot with high speed lip sync. I am not sure if there is any other logical reason to shoot at such a high frame rate, as there are trade offs with compression artifacts on fast moving objects and audio issues with the DR-100 HDD etc.

Dan
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

I shoot in 720p60 because I don't like the "film" effect that 24p or 30p gives. I like the crisp sharpness of HD video. 720p60 gives me that.

I did find a setting in Premiere that captures 1280x720 at 59.94 fps, but eventually the audio gets out of sync. I read that Premiere CS3 sometimes thinks that breaks in the video (when you start and stop your camera) are errors with the timecode and it will add 5 or 6 red frames to make up for it. This is a real serious problem.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks.

Miles.
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #4
New Boot

I am in a similar situation.

Having taken delivery of my HD200 plus a copy of Premier Pro CS4 in the same week, and having shot some material over the weekend at 50p , I can't find a way to import the footage into CS4.

There doesn't appear to be a 50p option - only 25p.

Can anyone help?
Kevin Ahronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #5
Major Player

I don't know if this is related, but I just got a copy of Onlocation CS3 and can't get it to let me monitor my JVC in 60p. I have not tried it yet in 24p, but will give that a shot.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #6
New Boot

I gave up in the end and decided to use Sony Vegas Pro 8 on this occasion. Much better capturing facility in a number of ways - more customiseable and the monitoring is a lot more stable.

Will use Prem Pro for 24p + 25p, but Vegas for 50p.
Kevin Ahronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just wondering, did you try capturing with non-drop turned on and a custom preset at 60fps?

Also, there is already an update for CS4 at adobe.com

Last edited by Tup Wright; December 10th, 2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #8
New Boot

I gave up too and purchased Canopus Edius 4.5 from Amazon which does have a setting for 720p60. The cool thing is I purchased version 4.5 for about $270.00 and I can upgrade to version 5.0 (if I wanted) for $250.00.

So even buying both of these packages is less than the full price of Edius 5.0.

Miles
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Miles
As A long time Edius user, the upgrade to 5.0 with the Prodad and IZotope Plugins added on make it well worth it

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems