Hytron 100s? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #16
Regular Crew

My 2p's worth: I wanted to continue using my existing Digi Betacam PAG battery system with my 201E. One reason is that several time I've re-celled my 3Ah batteries to 4Ah and my larger 5Ah batteries to 9 Ah.
5 Ah PAG batteries are heavy but recelling with NiMh to 9Ah is very easy, I do it myself. As they're just 1 cell deep, the load is much closer to the mount than Anton Bauers and so much easier on the mount.

I was lucky in that I had an Anton Bauer plate on my old Betacam SP and a spare Anton Bauer to PAG adapter plate, which is surprisingly thin and light. Now my 201E will take either battery and has 3 x 12v power sockets (AB and PAG on the back of the camera.

Weight wise the smaller, lighter 3Ah PAGs upgraded to 4Ah (Nicad) are just right for HD 200 cameras. If you feel competent with doing the wiring and recelling work PAG batteries make a very cost effective and practical solution for the 200 250 series. I agree that an AB 'brick' on the back of these cameras isn't a good idea.
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM   #17
Tourist

Hytron 140 -- Dionic 90

I have several different AB batteries for my GY-HD200/Firestore combo and it's usually the Dionic 90 units that get the most use on my shoulder. I use my Hytron 140 as a counterweight for DOF adapters or other front-heavy accessories. The Trimpac (included with the kit) gets the least use and often ends up powering a LitePanels mini or a Rosco LitePad.

The mount seems pretty sturdy but I don't do a lot of running, bumping and crashing with the camera. When the camera is mounted on sticks and there's a monitor, mattebox, lens adapter, lights and other goodies towards the front, the Hytron 140 (sometimes on the AB Tandem charger/PS) makes balance easier and can power the entire mess (including an SDI adapter).

When flying I keep the Dionics with me and send all the other batteries as checked baggage or shipped ahead.

One last thought. The Dionic 160 batteries are a marvel of compact power but I would rather have two batteries of lesser capacity (Li ion, NiMH or even NiCd) than a single large battery. Batteries need to be charged and swapping smaller batteries provides that opportunity. Additionally, while it is unusual, batteries fail. I'd hate to lose 50% of my battery capacity if one unit failed. I always try to have at least three batteries available for a shoot and unless transportation is an issue, I carry four.
Lonnie Juli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems