Powering the DRHD100GB100 with Powertap? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 20th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Powering the DRHD100GB100 with Powertap?

I recently purchased a DRHD100GB100 for my JVC110u. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about or has tried powering the DRHD100GB100 with a powertap cable. I purchased an IDX bracket for holding the DRHD100GB100 that came with a powertap cable that can plug into my IDX battery bracket. I called Focus Enhancements and they said they weren't sure either.
Anybody know if this works or are you killing the unit in the process?

Thanks,
Rigo Torkos
Rigo Torkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Major Player

I run the same drive on my HD-100. The power tap able that came with the IDX mounting bracket will power the drive unit and won't hurt it. The only thing I've found is that it helps to also leave the battery in the firestore at the same time. If you run the drive just with the power tap it gives a low battery indication in the viewfinder which is really distracting. The unit still runs and works, but the indication is in the way. If you run the power tap and the internal battery everything runs great.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Major Player

I also run the powertap from the IDX to the HD100 FE DTE drive. Just don't plug/unplug the cable while you are recording or to be honest even ON. The DTE will slowly drain your camera battery away if left alone for the day regardless, but the firewire isn't powerfull enough to power the unit. the Tap works great, meaning that the internal battery is only topped off and never drained. So all I do is swap the IDX battery every 3 hours of continues use and i don't have to think about swapping FE DTE batteries. So get an extra battery. YOu will run out maybe 30 minutes faster with the power tap in place. Havn't really timed it, but it does seem to run a little shorter.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #4
New Boot

Many Thanks

Thank you for the quick reply. I really appreciate it.

Rigo Torkos
Rigo Torkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Bad for the battery?

I use the power tap on my JVC 250 to my hd100. I am about to buy a new mr-hd100 and the site warns about overcharging the battery. I’m wondering if what Alex and I do may be doing harm to our batteries or maybe even the drive itself?
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Major Player

If you connect the PowerTap during shooting, then you will never overcharge the unit, as it is not in standby charging 24/7 doing nothing.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Overcharging

I looked up some info on overcharging- here is what I found:

"First it’s important to understand what overcharging is:
Over-charging occurs when the charger keeps the battery at a temperature that is warm to touch (body temperature) while in ready condition.

Li-Ion laptop batteries have built-in controller chips which prevent it from overcharging, as they can explode if overcharged. Overcharging does not affect the life span other than potentially destroying the battery.

A lithium-based battery should never be allowed to get warm in a charger. If you have this happen, the battery is no good or the charger is not working properly. Don’t continue to use the battery or charger if this happens.

A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours). Damage to the battery from overcharging would only occur in the very unlikely event of a malfunction of the charging system."

I would also like to note that I have been powering my firestore via the powertap on the IDX plate on my HD110 for a long time (shortly after the HD110 came out). I have had no issues with the firestore.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Adam!
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems