Bad Low Light Experiences at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 29th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bad Low Light Experiences

I own a JVC GY-HD200UB. I have had awful low light experienced with this camera. Even in broad daylight with all my windows open and my light on in the room i cant get a very good low light shot. All my ND's are off and im using paelos color .scn. Im still getting some bad low light. Any advice? Maybe I just have a stupid error. My aperture is also completely Open! I have the Stock Lense x16 Fujion.

-Cameron
Cameron Frittz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Major Player

it won't be

earth shattering low light, but first check you haven't inadvertantly turned your shutter on, and it's set to a high speed, that knocks a fare bit of light off your results. You didn't mention what you were shooting in. HDV/DV Progressive/Interlaced. There's a small difference in sensitivity between hdv and dv, and also 25p vs 50i for example.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ah yes. Im shooting at the default Shutter. 1/48. Im shooting HD 720p & SD at 24p.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Define "bad." Some pics, maybe?
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I dont have any pics. Bc anything i would post you would just say. Get more light. But what im saying is i just feel like i should be able to get a better lit room with the light im using. But maybe not....
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Remember that low end HD cameras are about 1 1/2 to two stops less sensitive than similar SD cameras. It also depends on the lens you have. Three chip cameras are less sensitive than 1 chip. I have the same issue between my standard def Sony PD170 and the JVC HD100. My apartment is just workable with available light on my PD170. The HD100 is dark except next to the windows and near table lamps.

In fact the Sony HD1000, a one chip HD camera, is less sensitive than the PD170.
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
And my experience is that the HD200 is about a stop to a stop and a half brighter in SD versus HD at the same shutter speed. The sensitivity in HD reminds me of my days with Betacam 537 and 507 front ends 10-ish years ago.
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Well good to know that its just not me. So go SD and if you go HD over light the hell out of it?
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Major Player

There is a "low-light" preset file in the post at the top of this forum. I've gotten pretty decent results using that setting. Also, if you're not doing much panning or camera movement, you can also experiment with setting the shutter to 1/24, which will gain you a stop. There's always the "gain" settings, too, but obviously, you get more noise.

But, yes even with all that, my HD100 is far less sensitive than my old PD150. Just the way it goes with HDV. Newer HD cameras may be a bit better, but I think they still fall short of what was possible with standard-definition chips.

The reason I asked about a picture, was just to see if it looks like what my camera does under similar lighting, or if there's actually a problem with your camera.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Frittz View Post
Well good to know that its just not me. So go SD and if you go HD over light the hell out of it?
Well, you could put it that way. I wouldn't call it overlighting. If you ever have a chance, check out the set of a major film when they are shooting a night scene. There's a lot of lighting being used.
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Well, you could put it that way. I wouldn't call it overlighting. If you ever have a chance, check out the set of a major film when they are shooting a night scene. There's a lot of lighting being used.
Indeed. Perrone Ford started a thread elsewhere on lighting to reduce noise in blacks on 1/3" chip cameras that talks about exactly that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems