Need Help: JVC110, 720, 24p- footage OUT OF SYNC with Avid MC 3.0!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #16

Hi Nina...

I know you don't have a lot of time for experimentation, but, have you tried to import the footage with a different application? I'm not on a Mac, my working frame is PC, but, some apps deal with the timecode issue differently from others. For example, Procoder3 accepts footage, or perhaps TmpGenc. One accepted by one of these apps, you can output in any codec you wish, with the proper timecode.

Wish, I could help, more. I'm just not on a Mac platform.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #17
New Boot

Hi Bill and to everyone who responded-- Thank you for your help.

Bill, yes, I tried initially to import the captured footage through firestore from .mov files to .mxf (avid HD) but one clip took over an hour, it ended up not being a very good work around for this project.

Right now, I have about 110 hours already digitized into the Avid. I have about another 25 hours to go. I guess I'm going to just proceed as I have been and try to find a way to surrender, emotionally, to this ridiculous mess. I'll re-sync the clips as I edit. That's all I can do at this point in time.

I will investigate further for the next project for ways to import with a different app.

Lessons learned.
Nina Gilberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Gilberti View Post
I guess I'm going to just proceed as I have been and try to find a way to surrender, emotionally, to this ridiculous mess. I'll re-sync the clips as I edit. That's all I can do at this point in time.

I will investigate further for the next project for ways to import with a different app.

Lessons learned.
LOL...not much else one can do.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Ughhh.. sooo sorry! I won't complain about anything for at least 6 months on this forum!

All I can say is, maybe give FCP a 2nd try some day. I love it with my FE DTE drive. just about alex (idiot) proof. Without the FE DTE drive, I bet it still segments clips though.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Big sympathy here too. That's a total nightmare, and pretty unacceptable, since Avid ANNOUNCED with MC 3.0 that JVC 720p was supported. (Mind you, back in 2005...) I also prefer Avid editing to the FCP/PP way of working.
I'm using Edius now- it's not bad.
I'd prefer to cut in MC, and sometimes capture in Edius and transcode to DNx with TMPGenc, which is good to edit and imports fast- but the encode takes ages, and it seems wrong.
What I can't understand is how Edius (and I understand FCP and PP are ok too) is rock solid with jvc m2t files, no sync issues, cuts it sweetly (or, on a reasonable machine, captures to canopus HQ on the fly) and yet MC which announced compatibility just seems broken.
Rob Stowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #21
New Boot

I've seen this problem, but only when using a DR-HD100 with the JVC GY-HD110U. Somewhere the sync gets off, usually about 4 to 6 frames when importing into Media Composer 3.X. My "solution" to this has been do dual boot a system with both an "ingest" and an "editing" OS install. The ingest boot is Windows XP with Media Composer 2.8, and the editing boot is Windows Vista with Media Composer 3.1.3 (no version of 3 I've tried fixes the sync problem). Ingest works just fine from tape on the camera... but evidently not with that deck?

I found this thread because I'm looking to buy an HDV/DVCAM deck. I'd hate to see this sync issue recur.

Technically the GY-HD110 was not an Avid supported camera. The HD100, HD200, HD250, sure. But the HD110 was left out. JVC says it's because it was so similar to the 100 that they didn't want to spend the cash to get it officially certified, but I'm not sold on that.

I'd like to know that if I'm buying the BR-HD50U, it'll work with my stuff.
Justin Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Sort-of-Easy Solutions to the JVC/Avid Sync Issue...

I know this problem sucks.

For me and the 200, the Avid loses sync on the tape at parts where the camera has been turned off then back on. the solution? Press the RET button before recording if the camera has been turned off. When I did that, I had no problem at all. I know it;'s an extra step when recording and it sucks if you are doing run and gun ENG work...

The other solution? I now record onto CF cards using an Firestore 200 and I have had absolutely no problem what-so-ever. Those other tapes that I had problems with in the past? I just ingest them straight to the Firestore, import, and my footage is back - completely in sync with no dropped frames.

If I had known that was going to be a solution I would have bought on long ago. And cheaper (and more stable, as I hear) than a Br-50 tape deck.

I'm a documentary filmmaker also and this solution for me has been a dream. You can always shoot tape as backup. and the CF cards you can always switch out for more space. Get a power tap and you can run it off the Anton Bauer batteries (if you have that).

It will make your workflow go soooo much smoother.

Taylor Brush
Spotted Tail Productions
Taylor Brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM   #23
Contributor

I 100% sympathise with your problem. This problem exists with the 101e as well as the 110. My workaround with the firestore was to take all the m2t clips and convert them in ProCoder to DnxHD - this solved the sync problem and DnxHd fast imports into Avid. If it was tape I used CapDVHS (http://www.yamabe.org/softbody.html#CapDVHS) to capture the clips and then followed the same workflow with ProCoder. I imagine Sorenson would work as well..
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems