Any Known Issues w/MR-HD100?!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any Known Issues w/MR-HD100?!?

I tried posting this over in the tapeless forum and haven't gotten any responses (which could be a good thing...but thought I would post here as well just to make sure).

I am about to pick up the MR-HD100 for my JVC HD110U and was wondering if there are any issues with the drive that plagued the DR-HD100, like the audio issue (grabbling the audio)
Also, can I record 720/24p quicktime, or do I need to shoot in .m2v and use cinewarp?

Thanks!
Ben
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ive been using it for about a month now shooting quicktime 30p and 60p files. Havent seen (or heard rather) any messed up audio. It can do 24p quicktime.

It did freeze on me once, on startup, but it hasnt happened since.
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Major Player

no issues that I know of. I have the FE DTE-100 mounted on the back end of my JVC HD110 with IDX battery system with the IDX. I edit on a Mac using FCP. Set DTE to capture HD via quicktime. I think it's important to have the DTE mounted (bolted) to the camera and not hang off your belt with a firewire cable. Just asking for problems. I heard of issues with the shotgun mic picking up the vibration of the DTE drive. I have a ME66 on a Rode shock mount, so i don't get an vibration noise nor any camera operation noise (flicking switches/aperture etc)

Also with Firewire 400 6 pin, be sure not to switch HDV/DV switch while on or disconect to or from camera to DTE to computer. Power down every time.

You can set up (not default) to start/stop the recording on the DTE drive when you hit record on the camera. it works good, but I was thinking MAYBE to change this feature to recording manually and not off the record button the camera. Recording long periods at events means changing tapes during a peroformance, which stops the DTE when you stop and eject the tape.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Oh, i wouldn't operate in 118'f in the sun. Mine sent warning alarms and begged to be powered down. But it was OK. Just rolled tape without DTE backup, then captured tapes after I got home when it was only 110'. ugly week I must say.
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Alex I was thinking about what you wrote about shooting a long event and changing tapes. So do you know if even when you use split record on the camera (hard drive using left side record button, tape recording using lens trigger) shouldn't this keep the hard drive rolling while changing tapes?
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen View Post
Alex I was thinking about what you wrote about shooting a long event and changing tapes. So do you know if even when you use split record on the camera (hard drive using left side record button, tape recording using lens trigger) shouldn't this keep the hard drive rolling while changing tapes?
yes, but one still has to remember to hit record on both the camera and the DTE. Hence I like having it synchro/slave. If I know i'm going to tape events that will be longer than a tape for a performance, I would do that, but I generally don't for most events.
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the feedback. One more question with the MR-HD100 are you shooting FAT or UDF, what is the best format? I generally don't shoot for hours on end, just interview segments, generally 5 to 10 min. Should I stick with Fat, or use UDF?
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Major Player

FAT32 has more disadvantages due to limited file-size and recoverability when a file gets corrupt.

The MR-HD100 works fine, but has a glitch sometimes @ startup. Rebooting helps.
Hopefully the next firmware update will solve that. As it makes me sweat during run and gun situations.
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Marc, I've had that glitch at start up as well. Also, I've been using my MR-HD100 for a few months, but I still can't figure out why the clips don't go into the folder created with that date, it always goes into a FCP Example folder. Anyone have any idea why that is?
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #10
Major Player

hmmm mine go into a new file for that date, and I think every other day goes in that first date as well regardless of what date it is later. Sounds like a mystery to be solved by reading the user's manual. Guess I'll never know and it will be a mystery forever. oh well.... I like mysteries...
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #11
Major Player

If you make subfolders, they can be made accessible with the F-keys to select which one to take during recording.
After re-starting it remembers which folder you used last time.
For each of these folders you can setup different meta-data settings.
The remote iPhone meta-data tag features are great by the way!
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Marc, I guess since I never got to the metadata stuff I never saw how to do that. I just programmed my F1 to "Reel" will that do the trick?

I tried setting it up with my G1 phone and it never worked right. Maybe I'll have to spend some more time on that.
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #13
Regular Crew

So, no one's having QT audio problems? I haven't been able to find anything that says JVC fixed the problem, so I'm a little worried about buying one. I'd rather not do the clipwrap thing if I don't have to.
Ed
Ed Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Ed, I can tell you that whenever I have tried to use it, there has always been missing frames of audio at the beginning and end of each clip when recording for long periods of time. I tried using some of the suggestions to combine the clips, but have had limited success with that...
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen View Post
Hey Ed, I can tell you that whenever I have tried to use it, there has always been missing frames of audio at the beginning and end of each clip when recording for long periods of time. I tried using some of the suggestions to combine the clips, but have had limited success with that...
I have yet to encounter this problem. Ive been using it for about 6 months without issue.
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems