DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Using Tandem Charger for power (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/144769-using-tandem-charger-power.html)

Drew Cusick February 27th, 2009 03:57 PM

Using Tandem Charger for power

Can anyone think of a reason why my tandem charger would stop being able to power the camera? It still charges batteries fine, but when on the back of my camera (with no batteries attached) I cant get my camera to fire up.

It used to work, then just stopped out of the blue.

?

Thanks,

Drew

Marty Jenoff February 27th, 2009 04:43 PM

contact Anton Bauer

I assume you're talking about an Anton Bauer unit. Your best bet is to contact AB via either email or telephone. Their customer and technical service is great. I once sent them an email about sending my charger in and they called me within an hour to help walk me thru the repair.

Chuck Pullen February 27th, 2009 05:07 PM

Similar problem

Hey I ran into a similar issue with a generic power supply using the AB mount. Turns out the wire connected to one of the posts came loose. Depending on level of electronics know how, I would check them for juice (I think it’s the bottom two?) and if not, crack the power supply open and check the connections.

Chuck

David Knaggs February 27th, 2009 06:42 PM

Hi Drew.

If you are referring to the supplied JVC tandem charger, then the problem might simply be the cable which goes from the charger to the camera.

Shaun Roemich February 27th, 2009 06:47 PM

David: I believe he is talking about the Anton Bauer gold mount charger that mounts directly to the camera via the 3 pin gold mount, just like a battery would.

Drew Cusick February 27th, 2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1019720)
David: I believe he is talking about the Anton Bauer gold mount charger that mounts directly to the camera via the 3 pin gold mount, just like a battery would.

Yes, thats what Im talking about. Mounts right where the battery does. Not a charger with a 4 pin xlr cable.

Its an odd thing to me. It still charges batteries, so its outputting power. And my camera still works off of batteries, which means that the mount is working.

Ted Ramasola March 1st, 2009 07:16 AM

Drew,

I get the same quirk sometimes, but i found a way, I would remove the charger from the back, turn on the cam, and slide the charger in. It usually works.

Another way is, attach the charger, attach a battery onto the charger, turn on camera, then remove battery. The charger would kick in automatically.

Weird. But it works for me.

Ted

Shaun Roemich March 1st, 2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola (Post 1020370)
I get the same quirk sometimes, but i found a way, I would remove the charger from the back, turn on the cam, and slide the charger in. It usually works.

Ted, you aren't worried about blowing a fuse that way? PURELY speculation but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with that.

Ted Ramasola March 1st, 2009 09:08 AM

I know. Its kinda risky Shaun when I thought about it, it was a result of trying to trouble shoot it on a shoot. Now, more often than not, I usually resort to the second one I mentioned.

I guess what made me more daring is after I was able to have my tech guy replace my fuse on the hd100.

I had him open the 200 for general preventive check up to determine if the fuse locations are the same and my tech says its the same fuse.

Shaun Roemich March 1st, 2009 10:38 AM

But sometimes ya just gotta get the shot... I hear you. How hard is it to replace the fuse? Is it field serviceable? Should I carry one "just in case"?

Ted Ramasola March 1st, 2009 11:20 AM

No i'm afraid it not field servicable. The fuse is like the size of a pencil tip. Some pencil tips are bigger even.

You have to open the cam case. I mean really open it up. And its soldered onto the pcb. I think its called a pcb fuse. I could be wrong about what its called.

Drew Cusick March 1st, 2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola (Post 1020370)

Another way is, attach the charger, attach a battery onto the charger, turn on camera, then remove battery. The charger would kick in automatically.

Couldnt get these to do it either.

Could it be that one of the contacts on the charger is just bad? Im still waiting on AB to get back to me.

Greg Boston March 1st, 2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Cusick (Post 1020481)
Could it be that one of the contacts on the charger is just bad? Im still waiting on AB to get back to me.

Drew,

Check the sensing pin to make sure it's clean and not stuck. It's the pin with the flat surface on it. I had that pin not make good contact once on the charger side and woke up in the morning to the horror of my Hytron 140 not having charged overnight. That pin is the sensing pin and has to make good contact. I removed the battery and found the pin didn't pop out all the way to connect with the battery. You have the same thing on the power supply side.

Hope this works!

-gb-

Drew Cusick March 1st, 2009 03:16 PM

Greg, I checked my charger contacts and they seem clean. It should be (from left to right) in-out-in-out, with the innermost spaces empty, correct?

On the other hand, I did notice something. The contact section of my camera plate is not exactly the same as the one my charger uses to connect to batteries. I never really looked too hard at these so Im not sure about this, but my charger has a little plunger and two small "spikes" along with the two long gold contacts. My camera only has one "spike," no plunger, and the two gold contacts. Is the "plunger" the sensing pin you were speaking of?

Jim Andrada March 4th, 2009 10:59 PM

Don't feel lonesome - I have the same problem with the Tandem charger. One of these days I'll send it to AB but since I have enough batteries to run for a day or so I don't feel in any hury to send it off.

Actually, you don't have to contact AB first - just print out the service request form from their website and pack it with the charger and send it to them. That's what I did the first time my Tandem charger acted up! They were really good about getting it turned around quickly - I think they understand that their customers depend on this stuff working.