Using Tandem Charger for power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using Tandem Charger for power

Can anyone think of a reason why my tandem charger would stop being able to power the camera? It still charges batteries fine, but when on the back of my camera (with no batteries attached) I cant get my camera to fire up.

It used to work, then just stopped out of the blue.

?

Thanks,

Drew
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

contact Anton Bauer

I assume you're talking about an Anton Bauer unit. Your best bet is to contact AB via either email or telephone. Their customer and technical service is great. I once sent them an email about sending my charger in and they called me within an hour to help walk me thru the repair.
Marty Jenoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Similar problem

Hey I ran into a similar issue with a generic power supply using the AB mount. Turns out the wire connected to one of the posts came loose. Depending on level of electronics know how, I would check them for juice (I think it’s the bottom two?) and if not, crack the power supply open and check the connections.

Chuck
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Drew.

If you are referring to the supplied JVC tandem charger, then the problem might simply be the cable which goes from the charger to the camera.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
David: I believe he is talking about the Anton Bauer gold mount charger that mounts directly to the camera via the 3 pin gold mount, just like a battery would.
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
David: I believe he is talking about the Anton Bauer gold mount charger that mounts directly to the camera via the 3 pin gold mount, just like a battery would.
Yes, thats what Im talking about. Mounts right where the battery does. Not a charger with a 4 pin xlr cable.

Its an odd thing to me. It still charges batteries, so its outputting power. And my camera still works off of batteries, which means that the mount is working.
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Trustee

Drew,

I get the same quirk sometimes, but i found a way, I would remove the charger from the back, turn on the cam, and slide the charger in. It usually works.

Another way is, attach the charger, attach a battery onto the charger, turn on camera, then remove battery. The charger would kick in automatically.

Weird. But it works for me.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
I get the same quirk sometimes, but i found a way, I would remove the charger from the back, turn on the cam, and slide the charger in. It usually works.
Ted, you aren't worried about blowing a fuse that way? PURELY speculation but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with that.
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Trustee

I know. Its kinda risky Shaun when I thought about it, it was a result of trying to trouble shoot it on a shoot. Now, more often than not, I usually resort to the second one I mentioned.

I guess what made me more daring is after I was able to have my tech guy replace my fuse on the hd100.

I had him open the 200 for general preventive check up to determine if the fuse locations are the same and my tech says its the same fuse.
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Inner Circle

But sometimes ya just gotta get the shot... I hear you. How hard is it to replace the fuse? Is it field serviceable? Should I carry one "just in case"?
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Trustee

No i'm afraid it not field servicable. The fuse is like the size of a pencil tip. Some pencil tips are bigger even.

You have to open the cam case. I mean really open it up. And its soldered onto the pcb. I think its called a pcb fuse. I could be wrong about what its called.
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post

Another way is, attach the charger, attach a battery onto the charger, turn on camera, then remove battery. The charger would kick in automatically.
Couldnt get these to do it either.

Could it be that one of the contacts on the charger is just bad? Im still waiting on AB to get back to me.
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cusick View Post
Could it be that one of the contacts on the charger is just bad? Im still waiting on AB to get back to me.
Drew,

Check the sensing pin to make sure it's clean and not stuck. It's the pin with the flat surface on it. I had that pin not make good contact once on the charger side and woke up in the morning to the horror of my Hytron 140 not having charged overnight. That pin is the sensing pin and has to make good contact. I removed the battery and found the pin didn't pop out all the way to connect with the battery. You have the same thing on the power supply side.

Hope this works!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Greg, I checked my charger contacts and they seem clean. It should be (from left to right) in-out-in-out, with the innermost spaces empty, correct?

On the other hand, I did notice something. The contact section of my camera plate is not exactly the same as the one my charger uses to connect to batteries. I never really looked too hard at these so Im not sure about this, but my charger has a little plunger and two small "spikes" along with the two long gold contacts. My camera only has one "spike," no plunger, and the two gold contacts. Is the "plunger" the sensing pin you were speaking of?
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Don't feel lonesome - I have the same problem with the Tandem charger. One of these days I'll send it to AB but since I have enough batteries to run for a day or so I don't feel in any hury to send it off.

Actually, you don't have to contact AB first - just print out the service request form from their website and pack it with the charger and send it to them. That's what I did the first time my Tandem charger acted up! They were really good about getting it turned around quickly - I think they understand that their customers depend on this stuff working.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems