Mic recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mic recommendations?

Hi I will be wanting to replace the standard mic that comes with the jvc 200...

Any suggestions for something good under $500 US.

I will be using it for multiple purposes, weddings, short films... I am looking for something that you can point at and it will capture noise in that direction, im bad with terms im guessing its called uni-directional? (i had to google the term "bokeh", despite the fact that I've been shooting those types of shots with my adapter, lol)

Thanks in advance!
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I'm looking at putting a RODE NTG-1 on each of my HD200's as an oncamera mic. I currently use a Sennheiser ME66 short shotgun (while much better than the stock mic, far from ideal).

Before someone else chimes in, I realize that an oncamera mic is not ideal for primary sound capture but it IS a necessity for documentary style shooting for ambient sound and "run and gun" sound when working alone. I also carry wireless lavs, pigtail connectors to attach stick mics to my wireless, cables and a boom pole...

PS. B&H lists the NTG-1 at $249, well within your budget.

Last edited by Shaun Roemich; February 28th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hmmm thanks i'll definitely look into that mic... price sounds pretty reasonable
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Trustee

The Audio-Technica AT875R works very well, it is very reasonably priced, and it is small. It works on camera or off on a boom or stand.
Audio-Technica | AT875 Short Condenser Shotgun | AT875R | B&H

Here's one wind reduction solution (and there are a couple of others):
WindTech | MM-25 Fur Fitted Microphone Windshield | MM-25 | B&H
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Major Player

I run with a Sennheiser ME66. I tested about a dozen similar mics. The Sennheiser MKH416 was better, but closer to $1,000. Most the audio engineers I've worked with on TV and Film wouldn't think of anything less than the MKH416. So I guess it's where your coming from.

Shaun, why don't you like your 66, or more to the point, what do you like more about a Rode NTG1.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The Rode NTG-2 is pretty decent.
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Alex: it's not that I don't like the ME66, it just seems to have more "airiness" to it than the NTG-1, based on my head to head comparison. I also find the ME66 just a bit harsh in the upper mids. Before I heard the NTG series, I was a dyed-in-the-wool ME66 supporter, having used it for thousands of hours in television news but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have spent the money on the ME66. If you have one kicking around, use it. If you're buying from scratch OR you have money burning a hole in your pocket, buy the NTG-1 instead.

BTW: the only difference between the NTG-1 and -2 is the lack of battery powering on the -1. Used as an oncamera mic, it is easy to turn on Phantom power (which I believe should give you the advantage of SLIGHTLY increased headroom versus battery power, but I could easily be mistaken) and you save a little bit of weight and a couple of dollars.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc de Jesus View Post
Hi I will be wanting to replace the standard mic that comes with the jvc 200...

Any suggestions for something good under $500 US.
....!
Well, My first choice for the near $500. price range would be the Audio-Technica AT4073A.

You want something that will be durable, quiet, and above all....it has to sound good.

Another option would be to spend a little more and go for the Rode NTG-3.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems