DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Mic recommendations? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/144786-mic-recommendations.html)

Marc de Jesus February 27th, 2009 06:37 PM

Mic recommendations?

Hi I will be wanting to replace the standard mic that comes with the jvc 200...

Any suggestions for something good under $500 US.

I will be using it for multiple purposes, weddings, short films... I am looking for something that you can point at and it will capture noise in that direction, im bad with terms im guessing its called uni-directional? (i had to google the term "bokeh", despite the fact that I've been shooting those types of shots with my adapter, lol)

Thanks in advance!

Shaun Roemich February 27th, 2009 06:41 PM

I'm looking at putting a RODE NTG-1 on each of my HD200's as an oncamera mic. I currently use a Sennheiser ME66 short shotgun (while much better than the stock mic, far from ideal).

Before someone else chimes in, I realize that an oncamera mic is not ideal for primary sound capture but it IS a necessity for documentary style shooting for ambient sound and "run and gun" sound when working alone. I also carry wireless lavs, pigtail connectors to attach stick mics to my wireless, cables and a boom pole...

PS. B&H lists the NTG-1 at $249, well within your budget.

Marc de Jesus March 1st, 2009 07:01 PM

hmmm thanks i'll definitely look into that mic... price sounds pretty reasonable

Jack Walker March 1st, 2009 07:08 PM

The Audio-Technica AT875R works very well, it is very reasonably priced, and it is small. It works on camera or off on a boom or stand.
Audio-Technica | AT875 Short Condenser Shotgun | AT875R | B&H

Here's one wind reduction solution (and there are a couple of others):
WindTech | MM-25 Fur Fitted Microphone Windshield | MM-25 | B&H

Alex Humphrey March 1st, 2009 09:35 PM

I run with a Sennheiser ME66. I tested about a dozen similar mics. The Sennheiser MKH416 was better, but closer to $1,000. Most the audio engineers I've worked with on TV and Film wouldn't think of anything less than the MKH416. So I guess it's where your coming from.

Shaun, why don't you like your 66, or more to the point, what do you like more about a Rode NTG1.

Stefan Immler March 4th, 2009 09:56 AM

The Rode NTG-2 is pretty decent.

Shaun Roemich March 4th, 2009 10:23 AM

Alex: it's not that I don't like the ME66, it just seems to have more "airiness" to it than the NTG-1, based on my head to head comparison. I also find the ME66 just a bit harsh in the upper mids. Before I heard the NTG series, I was a dyed-in-the-wool ME66 supporter, having used it for thousands of hours in television news but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have spent the money on the ME66. If you have one kicking around, use it. If you're buying from scratch OR you have money burning a hole in your pocket, buy the NTG-1 instead.

BTW: the only difference between the NTG-1 and -2 is the lack of battery powering on the -1. Used as an oncamera mic, it is easy to turn on Phantom power (which I believe should give you the advantage of SLIGHTLY increased headroom versus battery power, but I could easily be mistaken) and you save a little bit of weight and a couple of dollars.

Jim Boda March 5th, 2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc de Jesus (Post 1019706)
Hi I will be wanting to replace the standard mic that comes with the jvc 200...

Any suggestions for something good under $500 US.
....!

Well, My first choice for the near $500. price range would be the Audio-Technica AT4073A.

You want something that will be durable, quiet, and above all....it has to sound good.

Another option would be to spend a little more and go for the Rode NTG-3.