Firestore Drives at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Trustee

Firestore Drives

o.k. im ready to buy a Firestore drive. I have 2 options right now I see a referb Firestore pro 4 HD on Videoguys site for $600 or a JVC DR-HD100 b-stock for $900 on ebay. Is the JVC DR-HD100 worth the extra money? There both 60 gig.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Randy,

I have an HD100 and 200. I just got the cheap FS-4HD 60 gig. Its from BH and its only 60gig.

At first I thought its too small. But since using it, it never got to a point its filled up. M2ts have small file size.

I edit the m2ts only because I use EDIUS, and its real time fast. For effects and compositing where I need to do it in after effects, I convert from edius the m2t file(s) to HQ which is a one click process from edius bin.

So with that i realize i didn't need the high priced DR-HD100.

If you have an IDX or similar battery system for your JVC, just get a wire/cable to power the FS from your d-tap because the included battery with FS drains out fast. Otherwise you might need to purchase a separate high capacity battery for the FS.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Trustee

Ted,
Thanks for the response I do use Anton/Bauer batterys so I can power it from the camera. Both units I was looking at are 60 gigs but the DR-100 is the one that is made for the JVC camera and gives you info like time left etc. in the viewfinder of the camera. Thats why I thought I should spend more but I think I will go cheap. Thanks.
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Ted,
the DR-100 is the one that is made for the JVC camera and gives you info like time left etc. in the viewfinder of the camera. Thats why I thought I should spend more but I think I will go cheap. Thanks.
Randy,

Using the the FS-4HD on the JVC it will still give you a clue in the viewfinder. Everytime you press the pause/record button, the words, "trigger to hdv" will flash on your VF and LCD. the problem is when you hit it again, it STILL says "trigger to hdv". so you MUST remember wether it was on and when its stop cuz you might think its recording but actually stopping it.

I got used to it after a while and i always glance at the LEDs on the FS cuz it has modes for rec, pause, etc.

Just like anything, it takes some practice.

Ted
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Trustee

I guess if your rolling a backup tape it would co-inside with your tape roll would'nt you think?
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
I guess if your rolling a backup tape it would co-inside with your tape roll would'nt you think?
Oh yes. It would. I was basing my statement above when using FS-4hd in tapeless mode. In sync mode, meaning with tape and FS recording at same time, its helpful cuz you can see the tape counter running and rec indicator as well.

The advantage of running tapeless is,

1. there is no preroll and record start is faster.

2. you can activate cache, useful for certain conditions, where the previous 3 seconds is recorded upon pressing the rec button.

for mission critical jobs, having tape is advisable.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You never know where something on ebay has been or hasn't been. Videoguys is reputable, ebay isn't.
Forget the additional onscreen info, the one and only reason you'd want the 100 is if you use FCP, as FCP doesn't "See" mp2 -- you'll have to rewrap with clip wrap or streamclip.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Trustee

The one off e-bay was from a dealer too but I did end up going with the FS-4 HD from Videoguys. I also bought the new Anton bauer mount for my camera and the Anton bauer cable. So we'll see how it goes. thanks for the input.

Randy
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
The one off e-bay was from a dealer too but I did end up going with the FS-4 HD from Videoguys. I also bought the new Anton bauer mount for my camera and the Anton bauer cable. So we'll see how it goes. thanks for the input.

Randy
The mounts are nice, but a patch of velcro works well too.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Trustee

Yeah I know but I dont want to see my investment crash to the ground. I do alot of running around and I already have alot of crap on my camera.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM   #11
Trustee

Well I got my refurb FS-4 Pro HD today from Videoguys and monday its going back. I was all excited I was going to try and use it this weekend so I hooked up the charger and I get a red light according to the book its a charging error I guess the battery is bad. Bummer.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems