Green screen setup - HD110 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Trustee

Green screen setup - HD110

Hi guys

I will be shooting a green screen project soon and I'm looking for any advice on shooting this with an HD110, scene files, camera settings etc !? I have a little green screen experience but this be quite extensive so I'm keen to make the keying as good as possible.

Many thanks
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'd be curious to hear some opinions also. I have done a lot of green screening in the past with other cameras. Now I also will be using the HD110 for it later this month. I hope just the general good rules of lighting a green screen would apply. I know the HD110 is 4:2:0 color space. I have been setting up and doing dry runs before I get onto the sets later this month. I suggest you do the same so you don't have any surprises.

I am using a modified True Color 3 scene setting for my HD110. I have 2 1000w soft boxes for the screen, and another light for the subject. I try to keep the subject around 3 meters in front of the green. I also have a couple good keying programs.
Tom Koveleskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Koveleskie View Post
I'd be curious to hear some opinions also. I have done a lot of green screening in the past with other cameras. Now I also will be using the HD110 for it later this month. I hope just the general good rules of lighting a green screen would apply. I know the HD110 is 4:2:0 color space. I have been setting up and doing dry runs before I get onto the sets later this month. I suggest you do the same so you don't have any surprises.

I am using a modified True Color 3 scene setting for my HD110. I have 2 1000w soft boxes for the screen, and another light for the subject. I try to keep the subject around 3 meters in front of the green. I also have a couple good keying programs.
I have shot a greenscreen infomercial recently with some success.
Obviously you must shoot in the highest resolution possible in a progressive format.

You should shoot with luminance at about 70% on the faces of your subject.
The screen should be about 50-60 percent luminance relative to your subject.
set up your green screen with at least 4 lights dedicated to the screen with absolutely no spill on the subject. I would consider that 4 meters is an absolute minimum distance if you are using a 4:2:0 format and the subject has light colored head. You must back light the subject from above and behind the screen. The screen needs to have a uniform luminance value which can be judged using a waveform monitor. All foreground lighting must be isolated from the background.
If you are capturing using an external computer and in a 4:2:2 format then these rules can be relaxed a little.

Good luck

regards
Ian Skurrie
Ian Skurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Trustee

Many thanks for this info Ian. I will try and apply as much as possible with the lights and space I have available!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Capturing in HDV works, but you could run into some trouble in shots which are not properly exposed. This is one of the reasons why I took the HD251 to have HD-SDI uncompressed output which can be captured with an MXO2 or AJA or Blackmagic cards and other devices.

The component output will work fine too, but you will have some extra analog noise.
Watch out for walki-talkies and mobiles phones near the analog cables!
Make sure to double check your brightness/contrast and black-levels of the Component capturecards.
Preferable calibrate with a reference card like for example DSC-charts.
The hour extra spend on making the shot right, will make you smile in post...
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Marc, for me using a HD251 isn't an option. I will only have my HD110. Hopefully I can get some decent keying results with the HD110. We'd like to hear from anyone that did green screen using the 100 series. Thanks for your input.
Tom Koveleskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Koveleskie View Post
Marc, for me using a HD251 isn't an option. I will only have my HD110. Hopefully I can get some decent keying results with the HD110. We'd like to hear from anyone that did green screen using the 100 series. Thanks for your input.
The one thing I didn't mention is that I was using the HD101 with the factory set up.

regards
Ian Skurrie
Ian Skurrie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems