More trouble with JVC CU-VH1 deck. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Trustee

More trouble with JVC CU-VH1 deck.

I posted earlier that I was having difficulty capturing DV footage with this deck. I found out I needed to change the "DV/MPEG-2" switch and all worked great.

However, now I can not capture any HDV footage. (Yes, I flipped the switch back!) In fact, while the computer recognizes there is a device connected, when I launch either the capture application in Adobe Premiere or the HDV capture in Sony Vegas 8.0, it tells me "device not connected".

I assume this device is supposed to let me capture HDV footage, right?

Is anyone here actively using the CU-VH1 right now? If so, I'd like to see if mine is working the way yours is. If you are using one, what capture application are you using? Are there other capture apps I can try? I downloaded VLC but I couldn't figure it out for anything!
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Trustee

Well, I think I've figured it out. It appears that the DV/MPEG2 switch is inoperative. It seems to be "stuck" in DV mode. I can move the switch, but it seems to have no effect on the operation of the unit. Which stinks, because I almost never shoot in DV mode.

Does anyone know if that's a common issue on these decks? Dang, I just bought this too.
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Trustee

In case you're following my own private thread here, I've determined the DV/MPEG2 switch has dirty contacts. I flipped it back and forth several times and now it's back in HDV mode. Thank goodness it's just a simple problem. Probably from sitting unused for a few years.
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Have you unplugged the firewire cable before activating the switch? I haven't worked with that specific deck, but most cameras require you to disconnect the firewire before switching the unit to DV or HDV.

The computer wont recognize it as an HDV deck unless it is switched before connecting the firewire and vice versa regarding the switch to DV.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Trustee

Oh yeah, I was doing that - completely disconnected power and firewire cable before switching. I'm fairly certain it was just dirty contacts within the switch.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems