Camera dead at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera dead

since buying our gy-hd110, i've always been militant about making sure both camera and firestore drive are turned off while connecting via firewire port as this is a documented issue.

so, was on a video shoot. talent was there, lighting all set, just getting ready to start shooting. i glanced at the firestore (all hooked up), and noticed the battery had one click left on it. so i plugged in the power adapter at which point the camera made a neat little "pop" sound and went completely dead.

had to quickly call the rental house and get another camera.

so, someone please tell me this is a simple fuse i can replace on my own or something... i have the extended Mack warranty but just don't want to have to send it in unless i have to.

any suggestions would be great.

thanks.
eric
Eric Kome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Most likely the fuse on the PCB board popped out...
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

something i can do? or does it need to be sent in?

thanks
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

You should send it in. How do those Mack warranties work? Can you use your local JVC service centre of does it have to be sent somewhere specific.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Firewire 800 - 400?

Not jumping the thread, honest - well, only a bit; but my question still stands - does Firewire 800 - 400 (as in connecting an HD111 to a new Macbook Pro) run the risk of blowing stuff? In other words, does it carry the same power as 400 - 400?

Thanks
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #6
Wrangler

It stands to reason FW800 carries the same power (if not more) than FW400 because it is required to be backwards compatible with FW400. I have a Lacie Little Big Disk that I've plugged into the MacPro with FW800 and it powers it just fine.
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

hey! quit hijacking my thread! :) just kiddin.

so, i was just starting to fill out the forms and all online to send it in, and thought i'm gonna hook a battery up one more time and just make sure it is indeed dead.

fired up right away without problem.

i messed with it a bit and turns out, the screws that hold the anton bauer battery adaptor on top were just loose enough that when pressure is put on the bottom of the battery (or the attached firestore) it lifted it out of the camera just enough that it disconnected all power. it was slight enough that i didn't even notice it.

feel kinda dumb for not figuring that out at the shoot (tried another battery but didn't really investigate this possibility). i sort of jumped to the conclusion of the firewire being the issue (cuz of the firestore).

anyway, tightened down those screws, and it seems fine and solid now. with a bunch of shoots coming up starting next week, this was a huge relief!

thanks for your responses guys.
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I blew a fuse Saturday night and took the camera to a local repair shop this week it took about an hour to fix and cost me $120.
David Allen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

"i messed with it a bit and turns out, the screws that hold the anton bauer battery adaptor on top were just loose enough that when pressure is put on the bottom of the battery (or the attached firestore) it lifted it out of the camera just enough that it disconnected all power. it was slight enough that i didn't even notice it."

I had that same problem. The place I bought the camera from only had one screw holding the adapter in place. The camera keep cutting off randomly. I brought back and they took care of the problem.
Corey Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems