2:35:1 mode? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 6th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #16
Major Player

Enzo and/or Francoise.. can you give me a model (name, number) of a 1,33 lens adaptor I could attach to my HM700 (Fujinon 16x). Because I've been looking but I find only high end (10-20 K$) or very low end (32mm thread) and nothing for my 82mm thread. Century seems to be concentrating on adaptors for projectors and not for cameras
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #17
Inner Circle

i used to get a century for my VX2000 that was 58mm thread.
i Know the Panasonic for the early DVX100 , the AG-LA7200G (a DVX100 is 72mm)
problem is the low end (cheap, and not so cheap, since all adapters are easy over $500).
Since thread diameter often does not reflect lens diameter, you could try an step up/down ring adapter.
But frankly these kind of adapter are a pain for image quality and most of them do not allow for zooming.
I am pretty sure you will better result by adding black bars to a regular 16/9 and keeping quality of your lens.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
Enzo and/or Francoise.. can you give me a model (name, number) of a 1,33 lens adaptor I could attach to my HM700 (Fujinon 16x). Because I've been looking but I find only high end (10-20 K$) or very low end (32mm thread) and nothing for my 82mm thread. Century seems to be concentrating on adaptors for projectors and not for cameras
Ciao Marcello,

Here you are (Schneider / Century Optics Web site):

Converter (zoom through, better than an adapter): .8X IF WIDE ANGLE CONVERTER - Schneider Optics

Matte box / Filter holder for above: SUNSHADE FOR .8X BROADCAST IF - Schneider Optics

For your Fuji 16x lens, you will need to add a 82mm hardened glass filter or have a 82mm metal ring made up to keep the converter from binding the focus ring. For a 17X or 13x, no filter or stiffening ring is needed.

This converter is a slip on unit, multi-coated, and since it is the IF series, much lighter than the round ones. It's what I use, and works perfectly in 16:9 or 4:3 capture mode on everything from my 13x to 17x Fuji lenses, and my Canon 3/4" and 1/2" lenses.

Get a better price from one of the DVInfo Net sponsors, or you can probably find one used on one of the auction sites.

Hope that helps!
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #19
Major Player

Thanks to both. So the answer is.. it can't be done.. for now.. No1.33x adapter. The 0,8 you gave me Enzo is a "normal" wide adaptor isn't it? Not an anamorphic. I allready bought a century wide+superwide and I'll stay with that. Also in the meantime Century answerd saying they have no anamorphic adapter for cameras and they think that in this low-mid end nobody has.
Thanks to all
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks to both. So the answer is.. it can't be done.. for now.. No1.33x adapter. The 0,8 you gave me Enzo is a "normal" wide adaptor isn't it? Not an anamorphic. I allready bought a century wide+superwide and I'll stay with that. Also in the meantime Century answerd saying they have no anamorphic adapter for cameras and they think that in this low-mid end nobody has.
Thanks to all
Marcello,

Porca miseria! [hand slapping forehead]

Sorry, your post didn't fully register in my minuscule brain. That's what happens when trying to read the board posts and two scripts at the same time.

Of course, you are looking for a 1:33 squeeze lens. And yes, you are totally correct. Since Schneider took over all operations, they are no longer making any anamorphic lenses except the projector units, and I think they are closing those out too. However, they should have mentioned that Century Optics did (until until a few years ago) make several excellent ones.

I know for sure they made a converter (fully zoom through), and an adapter (not fully zoom through) for the Canon GL series (both bayonet mount), and a 58mm adapter as well (Canon, Sony, some Pannys). I believe they called the series 16:9 something or other. They also made one for regular broadcast lenses (3/4" & 1/2"), but I'm not sure if they actually went into production on those lenses or just made a few for the shows.

I have one, and it fits the 1/3" Fuji's perfectly. Took me awhile to find the right slip on mount adapter, but it gives me a 2:35:1 (Super 35) image when shooting in 16:9 format (after being properly unsqueezed in post). Finding one is not going to be easy. I got mine on eBay, and I also purchased a new bayonet model for my GL2 right from Schneider at a crash price ($100 I think).

The reason they made them in the first place (and also the reason they no longer make them, I would think), is that there were very few cams that would shoot "real" 16:9, so it was a great way to get 16:9 into a 4:3 camera, Now that everything shoots 16:9, there just isn't a market for those types of lenses anymore.

Put it on your watch list on eBay or ask around this board. If you wait long enough, you will eventually find one. BTW, the broadcast 1:33 adapter is not 100% zoom though, only goes to about 60% before the image starts getting soft.

Ciao!
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks. This is good.. Do you have the exact series I am loking or.. It can make it easier to find.
Also.. when you say baionet mount you mean that it goeas roght on the camera before the lenses and not on the 82mm thread at the end?
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks. This is good.. Do you have the exact series I am loking or.. It can make it easier to find.
Also.. when you say baionet mount you mean that it goeas roght on the camera before the lenses and not on the 82mm thread at the end?
Marcello,

No, the bayonet ones were only for the Canon and Sony fixed lens prosumer cams (I just mentioned those as an example of how many they did manufacture at one time).

The one you are looking for screws onto an appropriate slip on mount, and goes over the front of the lens and clamps in place via a long knurled screw.

I don't believe it has anything but a serial number and "Century Optics 16:9" on it, but I will look at it the next time I go by my studio / workshop. Century is notorious for not marking their stock very clearly.

Ciao!
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks.. That'll be great!

Ciao
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #24
Regular Crew

1.33X Anamorphic Converter

Ciao Marcello,

I finally had a chance to pull that adapter.

Just as I thought, not much information on the lens. It has: "Century Precision Optics U.S.A. Broadcast IF 1.33X Anamorphic Converter Pro" on it, along with a ridiculously low serial number.

No model number in digits or anything else, which is fairly typical for CP products.

At least you have some starting information :)
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #25
Major Player

Thank you very much.
Yes .. it's a start... Also.. If you wish to sell it... :)
M
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hahaha

Sorry, Marcello, I don't want to sell it just yet.

I am planing on using it with a second 16:9 cam (to my RED) on a feature I am starting in a few weeks that will be shot in Super 35.

While I won't know 100% for sure until I do the line-up tests, it looks like that when added to a 16:9 native cam, it shoots full frame in the S35 frame (after being unsqueezed in post).

But good luck, you WILL find one eventually.
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #27
Major Player

That was exactly my idea... Lucky you!
Good luck for your project
:)
M
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #28
Major Player

wouldn't adding a 1:33 lens on something shooting 16x9 make an extremely wide image, wider than 2.40:1 once unsquezzed in post?

Wouldn't you have to crop out the ends in post after unsqueezing the image to make it shorter to fit a 2.40 image?
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #29
Major Player

No... If you take 16:9 and multiplied by 1,33 horizontally (so you multiply 16 x 1,33) you get 21,3:9 that is the same as saying 2,36:1
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Correct!

That's correct Marcello!

And to anybody that doesn't know, the advantage of the 1.33 squeeze overlay onto the 16:9 frame is that you are shooting a full frame image and getting a full frame S35 capture ratio in post, rather than having to punch out a S35 window off of the 16:9 frame in post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems