Image Quality in SD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 31st, 2005, 08:17 AM   #16
Wrangler

I remember thinking before I actually saw and worked with HDV that all the color correction I do in my work would fall apart with HDV, that MPEG2 couldn't possibly hold up, and that I'd never want to work in it.

It's not that bad. Really, in some ways, I prefer it to DV. I haven't made any objective tests, but it seems to have less of the DV characteristic mosquito noise...and the MPEG2 motion business only falls down if you have whole frame movement quick and frequent enough to make people seasick anyway.

Of course these are just my opinions, and other people will think I'm crazy. But please please work with it a little before you denounce it so much, especially here.

Also, if you're scared of the flow so much, just find an NLE that converts on input. Apple is taking that route, and I'm glad for it.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:02 AM   #17
Trustee

Aaron - "but I can't get my head around working on a timeline in MPG2."

Well even if one were to work with HDV you are not forced to stay in the .mT2 codec. No professional would. Solutions from Canopus and Cineform and others are what make this new format excell.
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:37 PM   #18
Trustee

If you have the the look you want without color/exposure corrections in post, a $120 program called Womble MPEG Video Wizard will edit (very fast) directly onto the m2t stream, not only just the usual cuts and joins but also transitions, titling, dubbing, voice overs and music tracks.

The output is only re-encoded for a few frames around the edit points for transitions and title frames, and not at all for simple cuts and joins. Your video output remains native and lossless.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:19 PM   #19
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Hodson : Aaron - "but I can't get my head around working on a timeline in MPG2."

Well even if one were to work with HDV you are not forced to stay in the .mT2 codec. No professional would. Solutions from Canopus and Cineform and others are what make this new format excell. -->>>

That's such an important point. Although one can edit 720p24/30 very easily on a 3.2GHz P4 -- the 2X compute requiements of 1080i really make CineForm the PC solution. Looks like AIC and DVCPRO HD are our only "poor" choices from Apple.

It's interesting that those who rail most against MPEG-2 both have no experience with it and no idea of how it's edited.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems